DIY Caller / Top of the Dang Mornin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Caller / Top of the Dang Mornin

My OWN client, who I charged less than $100 bucks, calls, actually trying to do her dependent child's return. Kid sold mutual funds, and it's with Edward Jones, of all people. "Does she have to report that?"

Then, "Oh, and here's a 1098-T"

It's April.
    Last edited by RitaB; 04-02-2012, 12:07 PM.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

"I can answer questions about your return because I do it but,especially this time of year, I just don't have the time, nor does my practice include tax training."
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Actually

Actually, I am amending client's and preparing the kid's. After tax season.

Still, had to have the "OMG, what about penalties???" conversation. Hello, they owe YOU.
      Last edited by RitaB; 04-02-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

My response

The couple I had assisted in the off-season decided to DIY, and wanted me to CHECK the TurboTax return for them! I spent a lot of time with them, expecting a new client who has their own business.

My much-more-savvy daughter wrote the response for me. Brilliant, and yes, you may steal it!

"Please excuse my brief response as this has been and continues to be my busiest and most successful tax season to date, as each passing year seems to be.

I am in the first class of IRS Registered Tax Return Preparers, and my client referrals are always increasing. My best clients value my service and respect my professionalism in preparing their tax returns--that is my specialty and in fact my livelihood.

Not everyone values tax preparation services in the same way, and I am in a position where I can choose who I work with, just as you have. Thank you so much for thinking of me, but I must decline to review your return or advise you further."

As Rita responded, "BAM"... DONE.
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Today's calls are all from the same person; maybe you're getting the same calls.
          Caller introduces self as (best read w/Boston accent) "I'm Enta Collier."

Yes, I know who are . . .

And it turns they ALL have off this week. How nice for them not to have to clutter their week off with a tax appt.

Comment

Three

THREE have called today, (I left them messages last week that the returns are ready), to ask me what they owed me.

Yeah, right.

Then, since I'm on there, "How did it come out?"

This is why everybody coming in here now is getting extensions. Because of phone calls. I'm not kidding.

Comment

Talk to the phone

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
              THREE have called today, (I left them messages last week that the returns are ready), to ask me what they owed me.

Yeah, right.

Then, since I'm on there, "How did it come out?"

This is why everybody coming in here now is getting extensions. Because of phone calls. I'm not kidding.
              Voice mail, or answering machines, checked only at the end of the day can do wonders to alleviate the problem.

I'm already telling folks I don't plan to be working the weekend after Easter. A few "say WHAAT?!?" comments occur, but I remind them January 1st was a long time ago, and I already have plans for that weekend.

And, at the risk of repeating myself: "Bad planning on your part does not create an emergency on my part."

Also - I absolutely LOVE the response of Possi re how we are under no obligation to prepare taxes for everyone that finds our business location. Perhaps the Blocks, J Hewitts, and Libertys of the world must take that approach, but not me!!

FE

Comment

Voicemail

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                Voice mail, or answering machines, checked only at the end of the day can do wonders to alleviate the problem.

FE
                I do use the voicemail, too. It absolutely saves me... I have time to "act" instead of "react" to difficult clients.
                "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

I love that response. Although I really don't have many people asking me to check their DIY returns, it just might come in handy one day.

If I have a client or I am in the middle of something, I let the machine get the phone. If I know what the call is about I will usually answer it and be very quick.

If it's my mother, I might as well answer it and tell her I'll call her back. If I don't she will just call my cell phone......husband is the same way.

Linda, EA

Comment

I charge for doing a review on a DIY and if I find errors I tell the TP that there are errors on the return. I do not explain what the errors are but, rather, tell the TP that if they want me to prepare the return properly I will waive the review fee and only charge my normal fee.
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                    X