No announcement yet.

Third House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you get the uneasy sense that your client is playing you?
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

FMV Rent

If you're going to recommend a creative approach, remember you still need FMV rent or else it's still a not-for-profit rental with Line 21 and Schedule A expenses up to rental income. And the grandson needs to report $6,000 on his Schedule C unless Grandpa is going to do payroll. Late filing fees for Forms 1099 or W-2. Do you really want to aid and abet this person? He had use of his money all year long. Do not feel sorry now that he has to pay taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by whkrueg View Post
        The Saga continues.....
        Wayne
        You know our (tax season) lives would make an interesting TV series. Cliffhangers and all..... think of an interesting name?

Comment

I got it!

Originally posted by Burke View Post
          You know our (tax season) lives would make an interesting TV series. Cliffhangers and all..... think of an interesting name?
          Tales from the Tax Desk!!!!

Comment

Third House

Well I've now the 2010 return. Last year, the rental house was reported on Schedule E with
            zero rental income and a $23,000 loss. If I followed the same way I'm afraid the bells and whistles will go off at the IRS for two years with no rental income at all.

I hadn't considered with the FMV of services in lieu of rent that the grandson would have to file a schedule c. That would serve him right.

I don't feel sorry for the guy because he has to pay taxes, that is a part of life. What I do feel for is a 78 year old man who is being taken advantage of my his 22 year old grandson. Who is a UCLA graduate who can only find a minimum wage job, unable to pay rent but can afford a vacation to Switzerland to visit his brother.

Fortunately he just dropped off the return and I'll have a few more days to decide how best to handle this return.

Thanks
            Wayne

Comment

Solution

I would suggest you let the person who gave him the sage investment advice and/or the person who prepared his 2010 tax return also file his 2011 tax return.

Did his barber get involved??

Unless you want to get entangled in some shaky tax scenarios, I likely would not want my PTIN within a mile of this mess. The "best" you could hope for is to prepare a proper tax return and then have a very disgruntled client (and grandson) who might decide your inept work is not even worth your fees.

Just my 2ยข worth.

FE

Comment

Excellent advice!
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                X