Rental Income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental Income

Easy quick question. Is Rental Income ALWAYS (or almost always) applicable to the state the property is located in?

Quick answer - most of the time

If you have rental property in state other than the one you reside in, you must file a state tax return for that state (if they have state income tax). Whatever state income is received in, a state tax return must be filed....whether rental property, wages, self employment income,

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post

Whatever state income is received in, a state tax return must be filed....whether ... wages....
      OP only asked about rental income, but in the case of wage income, may not need to file non-resident state return if reciprocal with resident state.

Comment

It depends

It depends on the state they live in, the state where the rental property is and if there is a gain or a loss on the rental property. I have clients who are legal residents of LA but have rental houses in MD, FL, TX, and IL. They file everything on the LA, there are no state taxes in TX or FL, the MD and IL returns are only filed if there is a gain over the minimum filing requirement for the state in that year.

Comment

File

I always file the NR return for the state where the rental is located. Those carryover losses will be released -- and help your client -- when he sells the rental and that state wants to grab its taxes on the profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
            I always file the NR return for the state where the rental is located. Those carryover losses will be released -- and help your client -- when he sells the rental and that state wants to grab its taxes on the profit.
            Yes, even if a loss, I file NR's for rentals

Comment

Working...
            X