Tuition and Schloarship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuition and Schloarship

Okay I am agonizing over this one - hard to obtain reports - so based on what I do have
    Daughter is over age 24 in 2011 - in Grad School for Degree
    Has Scholarships/Stipends of $ 27K - non restricted
    Tuition Paid of $ 23K
    So $4K becomes taxable - which as far as we can determine assists in contributing to her Rent and Food
    Parents are not contributing to support except when funds fall short during the month
    No student Loans

Parents would not claim as a dependent
    Daughter would claim $ 4K as Schloarship Income,

Does this look right?

Thanks,

Sandy

Originally posted by S T View Post
    Okay I am agonizing over this one - hard to obtain reports - so based on what I do have
    Daughter is over age 24 in 2011 - in Grad School for Degree
    Has Scholarships/Stipends of $ 27K - non restricted
    Tuition Paid of $ 23K
    So $4K becomes taxable - which as far as we can determine assists in contributing to her Rent and Food
    Parents are not contributing to support except when funds fall short during the month
    No student Loans

Parents would not claim as a dependent
    Daughter would claim $ 4K as Schloarship Income,

Does this look right?

Thanks,

Sandy
    So the Scholarship is non restricted? Then can it be put onto room and board? You seem to indicate that. Then you might have more tuition than scholarship money.
    But if you cannot put it to room and board and it all has to go to tuition then yes, taxable.

If she doesn't have any other taxable income - home free.
    JG

Comment

I have less in tuition fees and more in scholarship fees
      I think this is where I am getting confused looking at TTB 12-7

So difference is scholarship amt received and tuition paid = taxable?

Sandy

Comment

As JG mentioned, if scholarships have to be fully used for tuition then, yes, you have $4,000 in income.

If, lets say, $10,000 can be used for room and board because there is no restriction, than you actually could have an education credit. I know this would not make any sense in your situation, just used for demonstration purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
          As JG mentioned, if scholarships have to be fully used for tuition then, yes, you have $4,000 in income.
          But this is a confusing way to say it, because if the scholarship doesn't have to be used for tuition, you still have $4,000 in income - at least, possibly more.

Comment

Thanks Gary2,
            That is what I am thinking - The Univeristy will not issue any tax documents per website info, but they do call all scholarships etc as stipends, and make note that it is up to the Student to track.

So I am thinking the excess needs to be reported as income, as no one is forthcoming in giving me the record keeping and I have been told that part is for rent and food

Thanks everyone else for also posting direction and thoughts.

I am really not liking these challenges on the Ed Credits and Scholarships - no one seems to know and there is little to no accountability!

Sandy

Comment

But,

income is to little to require filing. Does she have other income?

Comment

Only some 1099 B activity that I need to report so I don't receive a CP2000 notice in 2 years - Parents have already decided that we should go ahead and file even if tax liability is -0-

Just trying to sort this one out with less than records that anyone can furnish to me.

Then with that 1098T notice that IRS was going to maybe look at, I don't want to risk that either by not reporting something - Don't remember when that notice came out, but sometime early in the year.

Again the accountability for these Ed Credits, etc - burden is either on the Student, Parents, or as us as Tax Preparer. - Really dislike that the Colleges do not have to have some accountability in the reporting process.

Thanks

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                X