Possible first Audit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible first Audit

I had a client who Return was accepted by the IRS in Late February and my software tells me 3/21 should have his refund. I know seems like a long time. He sends me an email still has not received his money. I go to the where is my refund and tells me the following. Return was accepted - if the return is accurate we will send your refund (round about words). Actually he is receiving 3k less this year than past years. Granted he lives in one state and has 2 rental properties in another state, I can see the state my look at this, but the fed. I am assuming this is a spot audit?

Any advice

Thanks

Originally posted by thetaxman2200 View Post
    I had a client who Return was accepted by the IRS in Late February and my software tells me 3/21 should have his refund. I know seems like a long time. He sends me an email still has not received his money. I go to the where is my refund and tells me the following. Return was accepted - if the return is accurate we will send your refund (round about words). Actually he is receiving 3k less this year than past years. Granted he lives in one state and has 2 rental properties in another state, I can see the state my look at this, but the fed. I am assuming this is a spot audit?

Any advice

Thanks
    I had this happen last year with a couple of clients. They held up some of the EIC because of something on the return. They sent a letter and we had to answer their letter. I called them and asked what they wanted since everything was on the return necessary to show the reasons. In one case they wanted to see the K-1 from a husband and wife partnership. In another case they asked for some supporting documents. I can't remember what right now. Eventually they got their money.

So, to answer your question it is like an audit sort of. They think they found something. But when your client gets his letter you can address the issue and all should be fine.
    JG

Comment

Working...
    X