Work boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work boots

If you establish that work boots are protective and not suitable for street wear, could you take it on Sch C?
    I know this is answered in the past, but I could not find it.
    JG

Claiming the expense

Originally posted by JG EA View Post
    If you establish that work boots are protective and not suitable for street wear, could you take it on Sch C?
    I know this is answered in the past, but I could not find it.
    Lots of people wear boots away from work....

OTOH, if there is something unique and specifically job-related (steel-toes, non-conductive, etc.) about the boots, and they are truly not suitable for "normal" wear, I would place them in "supplies" and keep on truckin'.

FE

Comment

Yes, I do, also on Schedule 2106.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. They aren't steel toe, but he says he needs them to work on the cement and doesn't wear them anywhere else.
        I'm adding this edit but not bringing to the top. Maybe I'll search for it again another day. I see from the posts I got I should have been thinking differently. Actually the comment about working in cement brought it home. Protective should be from outside sources not because it is better for the person's feet. He is working on cement not in cement. So, it is a personal expense and shouldn't go on the C unless it is steel toe or something like that.
        Last edited by JG EA; 03-28-2012, 10:24 PM.
        JG

Comment

I don't know about this one. Just because he doesn't wear them anywhere else doesn't mean he couldn't. A painter who gets paint all over his jeans and surely doesn't wear them anywhere else doesn't get a deduction for it.

Comment

Work boots for cement? Or galoshes or waders? When we had our garage floor poured, they definitely wore specialized boots that might be suitable for fishing, but wouldn't be suitable for everyday wear.

Comment

Working...
            X