IRS checking the records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS checking the records

It has been my understanding for years that on e-filed returns the IRS checks last name, date of birth and Social Security number for accuracy before accepting the return. They do this on the taxpayer, spouse and dependents correct?
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Yes they do.

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post
      Yes they do.
      I always thought that, too, but apparently it doesn't work too well.

For years of efiling a client's birthdate was actually one day off. I guess when first we met back about 1996 his wife gave it to me wrong. Efiling ever since, but this year, when entering POA info into eServices, it balked and I had to check with client.

It's correct now.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

They do it on paper-filed returns too. Had one reject CTC on a dependent who they thought was age 17. He was 16. Turned out SSA had the year wrong. Early Jan birthdate and SSA keyed in the previous year.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, reason for the question is a long time client informed me that her husbands year of birth in the tax return is off by 20 years (she just now noticed?) but I've been e-filing it all this time with the wrong year and IRS accepted it. I'm waiting for the 8879 and will file with the correct year to see what happens. Husband confirmed that SSA has the correct year of birth. The client copy of the state return shows the DOB, guess she didn't really look at it, and I have no idea why I had an incorrect year to begin with, I no longer have the records of the first year they came in to our office.
          "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

I also do not think the IRS matches DOB's for tax returns. They do for POA's. That is how I caught the error on one of my clients. I was off one year.
            Jiggers, EA

Comment

death

I had an efile reject because Date of Death did not match? off by one day.. I was SHOCKED to know that they even knew the tp was dead haha

Comment

I was taught that the IRS checks that the first four letters of the last name match the SSN for taxpayers. Same + DOB for dependents. And, yes, in e-Services you need to enter taxpayers' DOB to put in a POA.

Comment

Check Pub 1346

Just because your software asks for it, doesn't mean it is sent to the IRS.

As far as I can tell, the ONLY time that a taxpayers full birthday (DD/MM/YYYY) is transmitted to the IRS is when the taxpayer signs the return using the "Self-Selected PIN" method and DOB is one of the shared secrets.

A dependant's year of birth is transmitted only if it is entered on form EIC.

Comment

Originally posted by DonPriebe View Post
                    Just because your software asks for it, doesn't mean it is sent to the IRS.

As far as I can tell, the ONLY time that a taxpayers full birthday (DD/MM/YYYY) is transmitted to the IRS is when the taxpayer signs the return using the "Self-Selected PIN" method and DOB is one of the shared secrets.

A dependant's year of birth is transmitted only if it is entered on form EIC.
                    Actually, the taxpayer's full birthday seems to get transmitted on the MEF system. But they're still not checking it, unless self-selected PIN method is selected like you mention.

You can get a reject on a dependent if the year is wrong AND you are claiming EIC. Not claiming EIC for that kid? Doesn't matter then. You could have the date wrong for years and years and not realize until you get a reject for child tax credit or something because the IRS has different info than you entered.

Comment

Working...
                    X