Hand holding or coddling of clients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand holding or coddling of clients

I had an S Corp that couldn't be efiled because the IRS Database indicates that this EIN is not associated with an S Corp. Even calling the E Helpdesk did not yield what sort of entity it IS associated with and my not having my client or a POA was not the issue. The issue was that if we don't know what kind of entity we are then the IRS suspects us of having a stolen or otherwise wrong EIN. I was told that if I could not jog my client's memory and get a reaction of "oh that's right we're this or that" I should paperfile the return with a letter and documentation making the best case I can that we're an S Corp. The original letter of determination would be the only thing that would be quickly accepted without the need for more fuss and bother. So I explained all this to the client on 3/15 and told him to look for the documentation and get back to me when he found it or concluded that he could not and told him we had ten days to get something in the hands of the IRS or face a late filing penalty appropriate to whatever it turned out that he had. How many of you would have called him before tonight and how many of you would not have called him at all? Remember he can't go to anyone else because I have what would be needed to prepare a return and the return. It had just slipped his mind as it almost slipped mine.

I would have called or emailed him last week to find out what was going on. If no response then I would let it go.

I am not bending over backwards like I have in the past for clients that is for sure. I am also not their physiologist any longer. My doctor told me about a month ago that I was going to burn out if I did start running my business differently. So I limited my hours and I do not work Saturdays/Sundays anymore. I've had a few complain about my hours. But they can go somewhere else if they like, I can not ruin my health over it.

So I now lead the horse to water... if it drinks so be it, if not oh well.

Comment

Charge accordingly

As what had been said on this board time and time again, charged him or her accordingly. I picked up a brand new S-Corp this year and chanced having my part time bookkeeper go thru their QB file with no down payment. What a mess. Did a little work but more needed to be done. I suggested they file an ext but I need $300 down payment especially since ProSeries charges us for Bus returns. They paid up. Now for sure they will not go anywhere else. I would like to see an industry standard in which all tax preparers would demand a 25% down payment for each tax return.

Comment

Working...
      X