Sales Tax Deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales Tax Deduction

Client built home in 2011. Contractor did most of the work, however, client did purchase separately things like flooring, lighting, etc. Also bought all new appliances for home. I understand that actual construction materials can be added to sales tax table but can built in appliances also be added. Things like dishwashers, stove etc.

If TP can show that the tax on these items and all other sales tax paid for the year exceeds the amount average shown on Sch A for his/her income, then the total sales tax actually paid can be taken in lieu of the state income tax paid.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I don't think I would add in the sales tax for appliances. I think of the major house renovations being items that would have to be capitalized over 27.5 years if it were a rental property. The idea behind adding the sales tax amount to your standard sales tax from the tables is that those are items that most people do not buy on a regular basis (e.g., cars, RVs, house renovations, etc.).

Appliances *might* fall into the major renovations category, but my first guess would be "no".
      Michael

Comment

Working...
      X