Amending Return for Qualified Dividends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amending Return for Qualified Dividends

I am amending a 2010 Turbo Tax DIY special. Client failed to put in the amount of qualified dividends as well as elective deferrals to 457(b) plan. They were in the 15% bracket,so they should not have paid any tax on the qualified dividends and also were eligible for the saver's credit on the retirement contributions.

My question is what documentation should I send to show the amount of qualified dividends. Should I send a copy of page 1 of a revised 1040,highlight the appropriate lines, and write across the top "Do not Process" or something to that effect? Or should I just give a written explanation on the form 1040X?

Thanks

I'd do both. I believe the instructions say to attach and form or schedule that changed.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

I would send a copy of the 1099DIV showing the qualified dividends.
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Just give the explanation on the 1040X. If they want proof, they'll ask, but they already have the 1099-DIV info that was reported to them. Just tell them that such and such amount is being added to the qualified dividends box, changing it from X to Y, the tax is being recalculated due to this change, the savers credit form is being added based on the 457(b) contributions shown on the W-2 from such and such employer, yielding such and such result.

Comment

Amended Return

I agree that no additional forms are required to make the change associated with the qualified dividends, and that a narrative explanation should be sufficient. It can't hurt to attach a copy of the Form 1099-DIV. I might even circle the amount of the qualified dividends. But I agree that it isn't necessary.

For the saver's credit, however, you must attach Form 8880 to Form 1040X.

BMK
          Burton M. Koss
          koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
            For the saver's credit, however, you must attach Form 8880 to Form 1040X.
            Ooops, yes.

Also, if any numbers on the Schedule M changed, send the new one.

Comment

Working...
            X