IRS Transcript Incorrect Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Transcript Incorrect Information

Client just got an IRS transcript of her tax return for FAFSA. Transcript shows dependent child as "step-daughter." What? Child is her natural child, always has been, and the return has shown "daughter" since 2003. I efiled this year. How could it show stepdaughter?

Incorrect Transcript

Wow, that's pretty bizarre.

Data processing error, maybe.

Why does the taxpayer need an IRS transcript if they have a copy of the tax return?

If the financial aid office questions the relationship...

Write a letter for her explaining that it's a data processing error, and attach a copy of the tax return and the birth certificate.

If it is in fact the financial aid office that is asking questions, this is one case where I would definitely recommend that any copy of the tax return provided to the financial aid office have an ink signature of both the taxpayer and the preparer. I still say that such a copy can and should be marked "copy," with a watermark or a rubber stamp.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Explanation

Just tell your client that this year the IRS is using a new e-file system, and that this has added an extra step to the processing of her return.

BMK
      Burton M. Koss
      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

It's the colleges who are requiring the IRS transcripts. Sort of an audit process, it seems. They don't want a copy of the tax return, they want the actual IRS transcript. Had another client get same thing on two of his children, has to wait until Monday to get the transcript (two weeks after efiling.) Letter from college said "your application has been selected for review...." and there are instructions how to download within the FAFSA on-line application. In the first case, I think the mother went to the IRS office and had them print it out. She's going to the Financial Aid office tomorrow. I'm staying out of both situations. I have enough to do.
        Last edited by Burke; 03-21-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Drop Down Box

Is there a chance that the drop down box in your tax software was mistakenly checked as "step-child" rather than child? I use TaxAct, and in order to determine if the child qualifies for the child-tax credit, every year you need to go into the line and choose one of the drop-down boxes, "relationship to you," "dependent type," and "number of months lived with you." Just a thought....

Comment

Stepchild wasn't even a valid relationship for efile until this year, so that is interesting. Data processing error sounds as good as anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Sheets View Post
              Is there a chance that the drop down box in your tax software was mistakenly checked as "step-child" rather than child? I use TaxAct, and in order to determine if the child qualifies for the child-tax credit, every year you need to go into the line and choose one of the drop-down boxes, "relationship to you," "dependent type," and "number of months lived with you." Just a thought....
              In my software, you do not need to select this designation every year. It auto-rolls over from the previous year. You would only need to do that if it were a new return. I checked this one and "stepchild" is an option in the drop-down box. But "daughter" is what is selected in the software and on the return.
              Last edited by Burke; 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                Client just got an IRS transcript of her tax return for FAFSA. Transcript shows dependent child as "step-daughter." What? Child is her natural child, always has been, and the return has shown "daughter" since 2003. I efiled this year. How could it show stepdaughter?
                I don't know if "I efiled this year" means that this is the first year you efiled. If so, maybe IRS put it wrong in the system some years back and any efiling later does not overwrite a once established relationship (normally a relationship does not change).

Comment

Working...
                X