Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schwab client have access to 1099-B etc.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwab client have access to 1099-B etc.?

Does anyone know if Schwab allows their clients access to tax documents like a combo 1099-B with 1099-Div and 1099-Int on line for the client to print them off?

Online 1099-B

Talk to Chuck.

All the major broker/dealers offer these documents online. The only way a client would not have access would be if the client was, like, some 80 year old guy who had the account since 1971, and never set up online access to the account, and is still placing trade orders by phone. That guy doesn't even have login credentials. So if his son activates the online access for him, some documents might not be available immediately.

If they have online access to their account, they can get to the tax forms. They just have to look in the right place once they are logged in.

They also might have to "accept terms and conditions" electronic delivery of these forms.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Didnt know with Schwab

Originally posted by Koss View Post
      [b]All the major broker/dealers offer these documents online. The only way a client would not have access would be if the client was, like, some 80 year old guy who had the account since 1971, and never set up online access to the account, and is still placing trade orders by phone. That guy doesn't even have login credentials. So if his son activates the online access for him, some documents might not be available immediately.BMK
      My BD's clearing firm has online access to tax related docs so does AmeriTrade, Fidelity, etc.but never needed one from Schwab before. I actually talked to Chuck yesterday, that is my client named Chuck . All these yrs and I finally figured out how to make these smiling faces.

Comment

Electronic documents are generally available

Most of the major brokerage firms now have online access. The problem is some folks don't use it. Client today was clueless as to what is "out there." His broker said everything is available online (gain/loss, tax documents, IRA stuff) but no more than 40% of his clients bother to use the service. They would rather drop by his office or call him instead....

What I am seeing a lot of is the ability of the brokerage firms to send me (with client's permission) encrypted emails which can include things such as Forms 1099/1098 and gain/loss stuff.

This is much different from a "password" protected PDF attachment. The full emails/attachments are encrypted, and unscrambled as you watch. Once I set up my name/password the client emails can be incoming or outgoing. Makes life far simpler, and prevents telephone tag.

FE

Comment

The real question...

is whether you can get CDV or Excel spreadsheet files for gain/loss info that you can import directly into a tax program.
          Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Working...
          X