1098-t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1098-t

I have a 1098-T, but the taxpayer has an adjustment amount in box 4.....Do i take the qualified tuition and fees amount and subtract out the adjustment amount for the 2011 tax return?

For a prior year? The instructions say to refigure the tax for the prior year subtracted the adjustment. Then you put the extra tax on this year's return. Line 44 with a designation that starts with a C.Your software will no doubt have a line for that..
    JG

Comment

I have a client's 2011 1098-T with an adjustment amount in box 4. All other boxes are blank.

The adjustment was reported because the school refunded the client's employer 2010 tuition that wasn't used.

Client received a 2010 1098-T and did not report any of the tuition on her tax return as it was paid 100% by her employer.

I did not report anything from this 1098-T on her 2011 return, as nothing from the 2010 1098-T was reported.

She did pay for tuition and took the AOC in 2009.

Any opinions on whether there will be any fallout from this?

Comment

If your client didn't receive the refund it should be fine. Wouldn't the employer get it back?

Fallout? Probably not. I had fallout in a different way. One year I did the above and the IRS sent the taxpayer back the moneyof the additional tax because they thought I had computed the tax wrong!! The client wasn't willing to fight them to get them to take the money.
        JG

Comment

Working...
        X