NC wild monkey dance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NC wild monkey dance?

Can my client claim her fiance as a dependent and take the education credit for him?

VA law says no, b/c they are engaged and probably breaking the state law from the early 1900's that say "no fornication." ("In violation of local law")

So, if they do the Wild Monkey Dance as NC residents, can she claim him?

I'm just askin' is all.....
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

A long time ago this issue came up. We decided that it was not our place to ask intimate details of a person’s life. We then went through the rules for claiming a dependent, read that about not breaking the law and got the client’s answer. It is kind of like the drug question for AOC. How many of us ask “Does you child do drugs?” But depending on the circumstances I might just read through the list – casually.
    JG

Comment

That'll teach them to live in Virginia. After all, we have a reputation to uphold here and our General Assembly is hard at work trying to make sure we do. Sorry, I guess that was political and I truly and sincerely apologize. Agree with JG EA's answer to your question.
      Last edited by Burke; 03-17-2012, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Here's a link to an article from 2011, referencing a court decision on the NC cohabitation law. It appears that the decision doesn't settle matters, but leaves some wiggle room in trying to decide if the living arrangement is in violation of local law.

(Notice how I couldn't resist working "wiggle room" into that "wild monkey dance" theme?)
        In thinking about asking the client questions concerning their private lives, I'm beginning to recall a Jim Carrey courtroom scene from "Liar, Liar".
        Last edited by JohnH; 03-17-2012, 01:44 PM.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

wiggle room

I like that.

I zig and they zag...

so, don't ask, don't tell, wiggle, and don't pay more than is required!
          "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
          X