Property description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property description

Taxpayer rents rooms in a single family house individually to different tenants. So there are more than 1 family living in the house.

In the Schedule E, is the house considered a single family residence or multi-family residence?

I would describe it as room rental in single family home
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
      I would describe it as room rental in single family home
      Do you mean you choose "8 Other" and describe it as "room rental in single family home"?

Comment

Originally posted by Questionguy101 View Post
        Do you mean you choose "8 Other" and describe it as "room rental in single family home"?
        I don't know what you mean by "8 other". I put it on the first line to describe the residence.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Specific choices

The IRS has specific choices this year to make descriptions more uniform. However, if your rental doesn't fit in one of the specific choices, you end up using 8 Other.

Comment

I don't know what you mean by "8 other". I put it on the first line to describe the residence.
            I am talking about the new requirement in Schedule E this year to describe the rental property. The IRS has 7 types of property listed and the 8th one is 'other'.

Comment

It is a requirement on Schedule E

The current Form 1040 Schedule E now has required codes at the top (line 1) for "property type."

For something that does not "fit" a code (subject of this thread) the only remaining choice is "#8 - other" accompanied by a suitable explanation.

One would assume if you have filed any Schedule E rental properties this year, you would already have noted that. Also, most tax software will generate an automatic error message if you fail to select something from the pull-down menu for line 1.

FE

Comment

Working...
              X