Confirm SSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirm SSN

Is there a way that we can verify the SSN of a tax client is correct?

I know the Social Security Administration has a SSN verification website. But I think it;s only for employers to verify the SSN of employees. Are tax practitioners supposed to use the website to verify their clients' SSN?

Originally posted by AccTaxMan View Post
    Is there a way that we can verify the SSN of a tax client is correct?

I know the Social Security Administration has a SSN verification website. But I think it;s only for employers to verify the SSN of employees. Are tax practitioners supposed to use the website to verify their clients' SSN?
    I don't think so. I helped a client register for the site; well actually i did it all. Client needed formal registration in spite of fact it only has 3 employees and will have no more ever. All this to satisfy Alabama's tough anti illegals' law.

It is a pain to register.

Best thing you can do is require to see a copy of social security card.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

From the SSA web site:

While the service is available to all employers and third-party submitters, it can only be used to verify current or former employees and only for wage reporting (Form W-2) purposes.

So, for income tax purposes, ask your client to bring in or fax their card to you.

Comment

Tell them you got a internet message advising you to check their social security card. Chances are, if the social security number isn't legit, they won't be back. Problem solved.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

If I ever see a book advertised concerning the psychology of tax practice, I spec the author will be our own JohnH. (grin

Really though, might that not actually be a good subject?
          How many times have you used reverse psychology with a client?
          Maybe hinted at how powerful the IRS is when you actually know the slim chances of a client getting caught at something?

I'd like to hear some examples you've had in your own area. Might be entertaining.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Just ask to see the Social Security card. If they don't have one they can go to the SS office and request a new one. Once you have the card, you should have the correct info. Once many years ago, lady was confinced she had given me correct name that was on SS card. I asked her to bring in the card. The last name was different. She was in shock and didn't realize what was on her card. Number was the correct one she had given me. Any problems I just ask for card.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
              From the SSA web site:

While the service is available to all employers and third-party submitters, it can only be used to verify current or former employees and only for wage reporting (Form W-2) purposes.

So, for income tax purposes, ask your client to bring in or fax their card to you.
              That's the way I understand it.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
              X