Schedule E Rented at Full Value Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schedule E Rented at Full Value Days

I am sure I am over thinking this and my answer probably does not matter since this home was never used personally, but I am somehow confused by this.

Schedule E asks us to enter the number of days in the year each property was rented at fair rental value.

My client has a rental property where the tenants paid full rent until around June and then stopped. They have not moved out and my client has not evicted them, but they are in arrears and he still hopes to get some of the back rent if they ever get back on their feet. It is in an area where he is unlikely to find another tenant easily, so he is content to give them time to recover.

Do I put 160 days in this box (the number of days they actually paid for) or 365 days (the number of days they actually owe for)? I initially put in the smaller number but they do owe him full rent for the other days...it is not like he is forgiving them the rent they owe.

Thanks.

As stated in earlier posts, IRS messed up with theses questions. The question actually should say "available for rent" and not "rented". They are looking for personal use days.

Comment

Yep. That rental property was available for rent for 365 days.

Comment

Thanks. I remembered reading that earlier this year, but am totally zapped.

Thanks for being understanding.

Comment

Zapped???? I'm also very tired. At about 6 PM had to decide between:

A) cup of coffee and keep going....or....

B) short glass of Glenrothes and an early bedtime.

Hmmmm...decisions, decisions.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....................

Comment

Working...
          X