stock options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock options

My client brought in 2 stock options from Scottrade. He said he had a loss because he paid for the option but the price never went up enough for him for him to purchase the stock. It is a very small amount of money.

But I have never really understood stock options so I am really at a loss with this.

Can someone give me a "for dummies" explanation please?

Linda, EA

Call Options

It's a short term capital loss.

The options expired worthless.

Client should be able to tell you the purchase date, cost of the option, and the expiration date.

Basis = cost of the option
    Sales price = zero (expired worthless)
    Date of sale = date of expiration

An option is a contract that gives the holder the right to buy 100 shares of stock at a specific price for a certain period of time.

For example, I might buy an option for $150 which gives me the right to buy 100 shares of XYZ stock at $25 per share at any time between now and the third Friday in April (the expiration date).

On the date I buy the option, the stock might be trading at $23 per share.

If the stock never rises above $25 before the expiration, then the option will expire, and I have lost the $150 that I paid for it.

On the other hand, if the stock price rises to $30 per share before the expiration, then I can exercise the option, and buy the stock for just $25 per share, even though everyone else is busy buying and selling it for $30 per share.

After I buy it for $25 per share under the terms of my option, I can either hold onto it, or I could turn right around and sell it for $30 per share...

And it gets a lot more complicated.

The expired option is actually the simplest case.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Zero sale price

My limited understanding is that since he did not exercise the option, it became worthless i.e. zero "sales price" versus his original cost of option.

By definition short term loss????

There may have been a Form 1099-B????

(Your software may have a Q&A to guide you through the maze.)

This is a completely different realm from buying/selling puts and calls, which can muck up cost basis and become a true headache.

It's been a few years since I beat my head against the wall on these, but I think I'm close. At least the concept is not as mind-boggling as figuring out/tracking wash sales.

Good luck!

FE

Comment

Options

FEDUKE404 wrote:

There may have been a Form 1099-B????
        Brokers don't issue 1099-B for options. I'm sure that's going to change, in in the year 2036 or something, but right now there is no 1099-B for option transactions.

FEDUKE404 wrote:

This is a completely different realm from buying/selling puts and calls, which can muck up cost basis and become a true headache.
        If the client bought options in an account at Scottrade, those are put and call options. You are correct that puts and calls can affect the basis of the underlying stock. But in this case, there is no underlying stock, because, as you noted, the option was not exercised.

You are also correct that you use a zero sales price to report the transaction, because the option expired worthless.

BMK
        Burton M. Koss
        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys. I did enter it as a short term loss but I wanted to make sure before I transmitted it.
          He already has a huge loss so he can only deduct $3000 per year. So the bottom line of the return doesn't change but I want to make sure I report this one correctly.

He did not receive a 1099-B. He went online and tried to find something and the only thing he could find was the record of the transaction.

Thanks again.

Linda, EA

Comment

1099b And Stock Option Statement

My new client has a 1099B for $24,495.00 that has no basis or any other information.

He also has a form 3921 Exercise of an Incentive Stock Option Under Sect 422(b) that reflects
            date granted 4-19-06
            date exercised 04-19-11
            exercise price per share $9
            FMV per share $15
            No of shares 6,000

If I understand this, his cost is $9x6000sh
            his SV is $15x6000sh
            Long term

I believe the 1099 B is not reflective of this transaction although it is from the same company (family owned very large corporation).

Validation please?
            "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post
              My new client has a 1099B for $24,495.00 that has no basis or any other information.

He also has a form 3921 Exercise of an Incentive Stock Option Under Sect 422(b) that
              ISOs are a type of employee stock option, which are a very different beast from the publicly traded stock options described in the base note. Thus this really belongs in a different thread, but since it's here, I'll continue.

reflects
              date granted 4-19-06
              date exercised 04-19-11
              exercise price per share $9
              FMV per share $15
              No of shares 6,000
              This is a notice about the exercise of ISOs, and thus is used to establish the basis. Although it's not about the sale, there is frequently an associated sale of some or all of the stock when an ISO is exercised. In this case, the numbers from the 1099-B don't match a total sale unless the stock took an incredible nosedive.

If I understand this, his cost is $9x6000sh
              his SV is $15x6000sh
              Long term
              Not exactly, not sure what you mean by "SV", and no.

You didn't give a sale date, but since the exercise date was 4/19/11, and assuming the 1099-B really is for the same shares, it's a short term, non-qualifying disposition.

In a non-qualifying disposition, the difference between cost and FMV is added to ordinary income and becomes part of his basis. Thus, for the shares that were actually sold, his basis is $15/share. You may want to confirm that the $6 difference really was added to his income.

If the sale is not related to this, then you don't have to report anything on Schedule D for this, but you do have to treat it as a preference item for AMT purposes. At $36K of deferral, there's a decent chance it will trigger AMT.

I believe the 1099 B is not reflective of this transaction although it is from the same company (family owned very large corporation).
              Given the numbers, it's most likely a sale from an earlier exercise. The 3921 is relatively new, so you may need to have the client find other paperwork with similar info to establish the basis. You may also need to check back tax returns, to see if there's any AMT credit recovery.

I say this because $25K isn't enough to cover the entire cost of a cashless exercise, it's certainly not enough to be the total sale (unless the stock took a nosedive), and there's no reason to compel a partial sale.

Comment

Form 6251 triggered by options?

Originally posted by Gary2;137404If the sale is [i
                not[/i] related to this, then you don't have to report anything on Schedule D for this, but you do have to treat it as a preference item for AMT purposes. At $36K of deferral, there's a decent chance it will trigger AMT.
                The sale was not related to these particular stock options. The sale was for other stock options taken in earlier years. I have the 2010 tax return, and there is no indication of AMT or a form 6251 being used. His income was half what it is for 2011.

TP does not itemize, but takes the standard deduction. Without inputting the stock options exercised (because these options were not sold) there is no triggering of the 6251.

Your instructions made me look at the 6251 closely, and line 14 addresses the ISO's exercised, BUT I do not understand what it is asking for on that line. Is there even an entry to be made since he is not reducing his taxable income by any deductions (like itemized deductions), but is paying taxes on the whole enchalada?

I would never have even looked at that form if not for this post. I had no idea that exercising options and not selling them could possibly trigger more tax burden. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it all.
                "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Issues to resolve

The sale was not related to these particular stock options. The sale was for other stock options taken in earlier years. I have the 2010 tax return, and there is no indication of AMT or a form 6251 being used. His income was half what it is for 2011.

TP does not itemize, but takes the standard deduction. Without inputting the stock options exercised (because these options were not sold) there is no triggering of the 6251.

Your instructions made me look at the 6251 closely, and line 14 addresses the ISO's exercised, BUT I do not understand what it is asking for on that line. Is there even an entry to be made since he is not reducing his taxable income by any deductions (like itemized deductions), but is paying taxes on the whole enchalada?

I would never have even looked at that form if not for this post. I had no idea that exercising options and not selling them could possibly trigger more tax burden. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it all.
                  It appears you have two separate issues:

1) Sale of a stock with unknown basis, sold in 2011 and possibly (probably) bought at a discount via stock options. Your biggest challenge will be determining the true cost basis of that stock, which likely is not what he "paid" for it.

2) Exercise of option in 2011 ("date exercised 04-19-11"). If I read your message properly, that "new" stock remains unsold. There may be some AMT issues, and be sure you carefully scrutinize any W2s for relevant information.

Oh yes: While unlikely, at least be careful you do not have to deal with any wash sale issues!

Good luck!

FE

Comment

Based on the information so far, the entry on that line would be $36,000 (based on exercising 6,000 options with FMV of $15, exercise price of $9).

The exercise of an ISO is an AMT deferral item. If the options hadn't been qualifying, then the recipient would have paid tax on the discount immediately, as wages. Since the options qualify as ISO, the regular tax is deferred, but the AMT limits how much can be deferred. On the other hand, the AMT can result in a credit when they're sold (which is why AMT doesn't apply to shares that are exercised and sold in the same year).

Comment

There is no tax on the ISO until the shares are sold. It is a AMT tax preference in the year exercised.

Comment

Gary2

Is right on point, as usual. I think he is a moderator in disguise, he's too good!

Also, he is correct in stating your client may be able to take an AMT credit (non-refundable in this case). To accomplish this you must track the dual basis of the shares, the federal tax basis (cash outlay) and the AMT basis (the bargain element or amount entered on line 14 of the 6251).

Once the stock is sold, there may be a difference in the gains when you figure the gains using both bases. The difference in the two gains, will act as a negative adjustment on the 6251 in the year of sale. This could potentially lower your client's AMT liability (if any) for that year. If there is no AMT liability, the negative adjustment may create a non-refundable credit.

I better stop because I will just further confuse the issue and I know Gary will probably want to add or subtract to my post This is a highly complex area, in my opinion, so a bit of research will go a long way. IRS pubs do a poor job of explaining this transaction. I recommend you look into websites that discuss this info such as Fairmark.com; great resource for ISO and AMT information. Please don't rush through the calculations, take your time with this, get it right and after doing it about 100 times you may just get the hang of it
                        Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

I get the concept, but...

it looks like he is getting over-taxed.

Adding the option of $36k on the 6251 page adds $7692.00 to his tax liability! On stocks he didn't sell! Then, he might get a credit when he sells them? What?

He is not itemizing, so all of his income is being taxed to the max, no dependents, no deductions, so AMT didn't kick in because he is already paying the max.

I just need to be sure this is right. I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong. Not that I'm getting bad advise, not at all, but that I might be leaving something out since you can't see the entire tax return.

Comment

Precisely why they call

It "phantom income". It is income that was not received (conceptually) but is income under the crazy AMT system, clearly thought up by some Nazi scientist....wrong forum, sorry.

I once had a client in this situation and when I told him he has to report the bargain element as income for AMT purposes, he left (after a brief disagreement) and never came back. He probably went to another preparer and didn't show them the 3921 stock option form.

I don't know if the IRS is catching on to these forms, my guess is we may see some CP2000's soon. Listen, we are not telling you to take our word for it, please do your homework. This type of stuff shows up a lot in my office and it may become more common because companies are more willing to offer their employees stock than bonuses because it keeps them loyal and dedicated to the end goal (higher profits), or at least that is the intention.

Start with the 6251 instructions, then when you get stuck go to the Fairmark website and forums. Your question has been asked many times, the answers are there. Also, ask your client for a W2 detail or compensation summary of some kind. It could be that your client sold these shares in a disqualifying disposition as Gary mentions, this means the gain from the excersize and sale are already reported on the W2; I call these a cashless exercise because there is no literal cash outlay by the client. I am not tryin to confuse you but you need to ensure you turn over all stones to Get the correct answer.

After reviewing the 6251 instructions, then go here for a much better explanation: http://fairmark.com/execcomp/isoexer.htm

Then if you still have further questions or doubts, visit the forums at Fairmark (I am not affiliated, I have just spent many hours researching this topic on this site...and yet I still lack confidence handling these transactions). Here is the forum you may be interested in: http://fairmark.com/forum/list.php?5

Good luck to you.
                            Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveinTexas View Post
                              It "phantom income". It is income that was not received (conceptually) but is income under the crazy AMT system, clearly thought up by some Nazi scientist....wrong forum, sorry.
                              Nope, you have the right forum.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X