PC yet CPA went with 7yrs in 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC yet CPA went with 7yrs in 2009

As long as I can remember, PC were always 5 yrs. New S-Corp client preparing 2010 tax return.

Also CPA elect 7yrs on printer as well.
    Last edited by AZ-Tax; 03-11-2012, 09:45 AM.

Make an adjustment on the current year to correct it and tell TP to inform his CPA of the error.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
      Make an adjustment on the current year to correct it and tell TP to inform his CPA of the error.
      I think he did right. One may always elect a (alternate) longer period.

Sometimes it just makes sense.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

WOW Harlan

I didn't know that. I was however under the impression that for tangible personal property the Service would always allow seven year recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post

Sometimes it just makes sense.
          Does it have to be ADS, i.e. straight line?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
            Does it have to be ADS, i.e. straight line?
            Can't think of any reason why it would have to be.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I am going to continue to research this, but I was under the impression that under MACRS, we are required to use the General Depreciation System (GDS) recovery period unless the taxpayer elects to use or is required to use the Alternative Depreciation System (ADS) recovery period.

I know we had more flexibility under the old (very old?) depreciation rules, but I thought the newer rules were intended to standardize the periods used.

I am going out on a limb to say that §168 tells us we must use the applicable deprecation method, recovery period, and convention determined by the characteristics of the property and when it is placed in service. I did not really find any wiggle room for the scenario of a computer purchased in 2009. Both the GDS and ADS lives are five years.

Do we have a cite for giving us greater leeway on this?

Thanks.
              Doug

Comment

One decision that must be made

is which of three policies we are going to follow.

Policy A says I am only going to do things where I find black letter law saying yes I can do that.

Policy B says if I observe that what I want to do hurts the government's interest in collecting the maximum tax in the long run no more than something I know I can do under Policy A then I am going to do it and expect to survive on audit.

Policy C says if I hear anecdotally of a taxpayer getting away with something that would benefit my client, I'm going for it and hoping for the best.

Personally, I try to stay under A but I have gone under B but I'm not aware of having relied upon C.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                  I disagree.

There are two elections that can be made to depreciate an asset slower than the regular MACRS method:

1) Optional GDS method: (from TTB page 9-12)

Optional GDS methods. The taxpayer may elect to depreciate
                  MACRS property more slowly than under the default methods.
                  • The election is made by using one of the optional methods on
                  Form 4562 in the year the property is placed in service.
                  • The election must cover all property in the same class placed in
                  service that year. [IRC §168(b)(5)]
                  • If the property qualifies for: The Optional GDS method is:
                  200DB............................................. .... 150DB or SL
                  150DB............................................. .... SL
                  Nothing in code section 168(b) allows you to pick a longer period of time to depreciate the asset. The slower depreciation refers to using 150%DB or SL rather than 200%DB. The class life still remains the same.

2) Alternative Depreciation System (ADS): (from TTB page 9-12)

Alternative Depreciation System (ADS)
                  Depreciation method and recovery periods. Depreciation under
                  ADS uses the SL method. ADS recovery periods are longer
                  for most assets, resulting in a less accelerated method of cost recovery
                  than under GDS. See page 9-7 through page 9-9 for information
                  on ADS recovery periods….

Election. In all other situations, use of ADS requires an election.
                  The election is made when the method is used on a timely-filed
                  return (including extensions) for the year in which the property
                  was placed in service. Depreciation under ADS is reported on
                  Part III, Section C, Form 4562.
                  Note that if you want longer recovery periods, you have to elect the ADS recovery method, which is SL over the ADS recovery periods. However, just like regular MACRS, the ADS recovery periods are set by law. You cannot make up your own recovery periods.

For computers, regular MACRS, Optional GDS, and ADS ALL have a 5 year class life (see TTB page 9-8). 7 years is not an option. Thus, the CPA who used 7 years for the computer did it wrong.
                  Last edited by Bees Knees; 03-12-2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                    is which of three policies we are going to follow.

Policy A says I am only going to do things where I find black letter law saying yes I can do that.

Policy B says if I observe that what I want to do hurts the government's interest in collecting the maximum tax in the long run no more than something I know I can do under Policy A then I am going to do it and expect to survive on audit.

Policy C says if I hear anecdotally of a taxpayer getting away with something that would benefit my client, I'm going for it and hoping for the best.

Personally, I try to stay under A but I have gone under B but I'm not aware of having relied upon C.
                    I tend to agree with your philosophy, but there are things that are definitely not allowed. For example, when the regulations state:
                    Except for property excluded from the application of section 168 as a result of section 168(f) or as a result of a transitional rule, the provisions of section 168 are mandatory for all eligible property.
                    it does not appear to give me the option to chose to use an alternate method not prescribed in that section.
                    Doug

Comment

Computers USED to be 7 year property. But I can't tell you when that changed.

Must've been an old preparer.

Comment

Working...
                      X