Warning sticky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning sticky

Is it just my imagination, or does the irregular appearance of the "warning sticky" coincide with the subsequent removal of post(s) where a person is shown to have strongly stated opinions that may well be incorrect and/or inappropriate, with such erroneous positions pointed out by multiple members of the TTB board?

There should be a level playing field here for everyone....

And one thing I long, long ago learned in the field of taxes: A wise asset is the ability to admit when you are wrong!

Hopefully no one's feelings have been hurt with this post, which at least I feel is both reasonable and appropriate.

FE

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
    Is it just my imagination, or does the irregular appearance of the "warning sticky" coincide with the subsequent removal of post(s) where a person is shown to have strongly stated opinions that may well be incorrect and/or inappropriate, with such erroneous positions pointed out by multiple members of the TTB board?

There should be a level playing field here for everyone....

And one thing I long, long ago learned in the field of taxes: A wise asset is the ability to admit when you are wrong!

Hopefully no one's feelings have been hurt with this post, which at least I feel is both reasonable and appropriate.

FE
    I'm afraid to answer - might get zapped.
    One thing I've noticed is that someone (maybe me included) will stick to an idea no matter how many posts against it. Then they say it again, everyone ignores - what's the point - and the erroneous answer is there without challenge.
    When this happens I start questioning motives - are they trying to pick a fight? When that happens I ignore even more, even clicking on the ignore button. Did you know you can do that. Have a poster be on your ignore list?
    Am I on it? Am I on it because of emoticons?
    JG

Comment

Button ?

Originally posted by JG EA View Post
      I'm afraid to answer - might get zapped.
      One thing I've noticed is that someone (maybe me included) will stick to an idea no matter how many posts against it. Then they say it again, everyone ignores - what's the point - and the erroneous answer is there without challenge.
      When this happens I start questioning motives - are they trying to pick a fight? When that happens I ignore even more, even clicking on the ignore button. Did you know you can do that. Have a poster be on your ignore list?
      Am I on it? Am I on it because of emoticons?
      I was not aware of an "ignore" option, but doubt if I would ever use it except perhaps under the direst of situations.

Generally I will consider everyone's viewpoint/opinion at all times. Those with whom I disagree or whatever will NOT be "reported," however. I can form my own conclusions, thank you, based upon the information within the posts and the attitude of the posters. Of course, after I while, I establish my own mental "ignore" feature.

FE

Comment

Warning sticky?

I didn't know what that was.

I wish facebook had one... "warning... you are about to make a public post, and not a private message!" lights, sirens, flinging arms, anything!
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

I thought maybe the final straw that got a recent discussion deleted and the sticky posted was when a major tax chain became the object of the discussion with numerous members taking sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post
            I didn't know what that was.

I wish facebook had one... "warning... you are about to make a public post, and not a private message!" lights, sirens, flinging arms, anything!
            LOLOL! Like the situation in which wife 1 was told by Facebook and wife 2 was maybe someone she would want to befriend? (Poor guy. Hoisted on his own petard.)
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

There was another thread where one person started insulting another. I thought that was the one that caused the sticky.

Comment

Not your imagination FEDUKE

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                FE
                No it's not your imagination. It is no coincidence that the warning comes when the tone of a thread goes downhill. We had concurrently two such threads, one with obvious denegration of major chain stores, and also one where strongly stated opinions rendered the thread more controversial than informative. Traditionally, I have been more vociferous than some others, but I hope haven't crossed the line into making personal insults.

I don't see any evidence of the field NOT being level FEDUKE, but when the freedom of expression carries overtones of confrontation, the objective of tax discussion takes a back seat to divisiveness.

I've been on the board since day 1 it was introduced. At times, I'm almost certain I've been part of the problem described above - at other times I've tried to be a conciliatory factor. I've noted many such threads that started innocently but degenerated into politics, insults, bickering, etc. and often the sticky message comes soon on the heels. We may not like the deleting of posts and the end of sensationalism which attaches to these ugly threads but think of the purpose of this board from the standpoint of common sense.

Some of these posts which were perceived as personal insults have also driven a few good members away, and they haven't been back. I don't think ANYONE wants this to happen.

JG, it's not up to me, but you're not going to get zapped. You are one of the more knowledgeable and courteous among us, and I have benefitted numerous times from your posts.
                Last edited by Snaggletooth; 03-11-2012, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Some clarification

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
                  No it's not your imagination. It is no coincidence that the warning comes when the tone of a thread goes downhill. We had concurrently two such threads, one with obvious denegration of major chain stores, and also one where strongly stated opinions rendered the thread more controversial than informative. Traditionally, I have been more vociferous than some others, but I hope haven't crossed the line into making personal insults.

I don't see any evidence of the field NOT being level FEDUKE, but when the freedom of expression carries overtones of confrontation, the objective of tax discussion takes a back seat to divisiveness.

I've been on the board since day 1 it was introduced. At times, I'm almost certain I've been part of the problem described above - at other times I've tried to be a conciliatory factor. I've noted many such threads that started innocently but degenerated into politics, insults, bickering, etc. and often the sticky message comes soon on the heels. We may not like the deleting of posts and the end of sensationalism which attaches to these ugly threads but think of the purpose of this board from the standpoint of common sense.

Some of these posts which were perceived as personal insults have also driven a few good members away, and they haven't been back. I don't think ANYONE wants this to happen.

JG, it's not up to me, but you're not going to get zapped. You are one of the more knowledgeable and courteous among us, and I have benefitted numerous times from your posts.
                  Thank you for the input - it is greatly appreciated.

FWIW: After exchanging PMs as well as (external to TTB) emails with several regulars on these boards, it is my firm opinion there is quite likely a common thread with the involvement/attitude/whatever of a single individual.

Whether that is or is not a valid conclusion, it is my conclusion. I have never "reported" anyone to the management, nor have I ever placed anyone on "ignore." If it is within my power, I plan to keep that record intact.

Best to you as the main tax season nears the final lap. We all can be overly stressed and/or have a shorter than average fuse at this time of year. Perhaps that is a factor for some of the issues occurring with these boards.

FE

Comment

Funny thing here, I ain't seen no "sticky".

Did I turn those off in my profile? hmmm.
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

well, I DID notice the thread had evaporated right after I posted about a certain situation that occurred locally maybe 30 years ago, i.e. a CPA's office was torched.
                      I sure hope NObody saw any threat it my post.
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                        well, I DID notice the thread had evaporated right after I posted about a certain situation that occurred locally maybe 30 years ago, i.e. a CPA's office was torched.
                        I sure hope NObody saw any threat it my post.
                        Depends on whether single malt scotch was used to start the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
                          Depends on whether single malt scotch was used to start the fire.
                          GADS! Sacre bleu!
                          God'll get you for that, BH.
                          ChEAr$,
                          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Muuuuahahahahaha!

Comment

Interesting thread. It got me thinking about some of the conversations I've gotten into over the years on this forum. I did "ignore" someone a couple of years ago. I had said something which caused offense, and the escalation continued over several threads, partly because I tend not to walk away. It was just banter to me, but the other party was getting visibly upset. I didn't pick upon it at first, but after getting a warning from the moderators I decided that participation on the forum was more important to me than sparring with a thin-skinned whiner. I didn click "ignore" for that person and let things blow over. Ater a week or two they eventually lost interest, as did I,and then I unclicked them.

As for the other issue we're discussing, I'm with the rest of you. I quit running to the teacher to tell on Billy when I was in elementary school - I haven't felt the urge to take up that habit since second grade.
                              Last edited by JohnH; 03-11-2012, 08:54 PM.
                              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                              X