attaching sch D summary info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

attaching sch D summary info.

Client owes money and has 10 pages of Sch D transactions. Rather than input all that, I am attaching the Summary of investment income from the broker. Do I need to put any explanation on the return to indicate the attachment, and if so where? Sch D?

Taxpayer chosing to mail his return.

You put the various summary totals on the corresponding Forms 8949 which carry them to Schedule D. Say "See Attached" and label it in some way to correspond to the appropriate attachment you have for each long-term and short-term 8949.

Comment

sch D

So add that on Sch D somewhere, not on 8949.

Comment

No

No. Do not add anything on Schedule D. Schedule D just receives totals and information from other forms. You enter your short-term covered total with appropriate description on one 8949 and your short-term not covered total with appropriate description on another 8949 and your long term not covered total on the other side and.... I'd label your attachments to match the descriptions you used on the 8949s, making it as easy as possible for the IRS to see that you included the detailed trades in your mailed return.

Comment

Working...
        X