Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you require to see the Manufacturer Certificate for energy credit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you require to see the Manufacturer Certificate for energy credit?

Or you would just do your own research based on the specification of the equipment and then make your own determination?

If client CANT produce the certification then I DO NOT give them the credit and I explain that I have to see certificate FROM the manufacturer!

Comment

If they don't have it and I can't find one online, then I don't give them the credit.

Comment

I wouldn't waste my time looking on line. It is the client's responsibility to provide it.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Client's responsibility

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          I wouldn't waste my time looking on line. It is the client's responsibility to provide it.
          Most often I ask: "did the salesperson tell you it qualifies for the credit?" and "do you have all the papers at home that you got when you bought XYZ?" If they respond in the affirmative, then I give them the credit, telling them that they need to keep those papers in case they get audited.

Bill

Comment

I see the papers

but unlike taxea I will provide whatever help I can in getting whatever is needed as long as they agree to pay my standard hourly rate. There may come a time when I stop doing that due to having more billable hours than I want but right now that's not the case. When I billed by the form I had a time charge ready to add if I felt that I spent more than a minimal amount of extra time due to the client being unprepared, having their files in a mess, etc. This year I decided that it's simpler and fairer to bill straight time. That way I don't have to estimate how much I should discount or add because a form was significantly easier or harder than that form usually is.

Comment

But you have a minimum right? In case it only takes a few minutes?
              JG

Comment

Part of my service, I will look online if I have the info provided by the taxpayer, if I can't find it - then I have the client go back to the Sales Person-Mfg to obtain it.

After all part of what we offer to the Tax Clients is Service Related and to assist them in direction to assist us in obtaining all of the legitimate deductions and credits.

Sandy

Comment

That's what I do " provide me the document/s so I can take the deduction"

Comment

Auditing the Taxpayer

Originally posted by S T View Post
                    Part of my service, I will look online if I have the info provided by the taxpayer, if I can't find it - then I have the client go back to the Sales Person-Mfg to obtain it.

After all part of what we offer to the Tax Clients is Service Related and to assist them in direction to assist us in obtaining all of the legitimate deductions and credits.

Sandy
                    I don't insist on seeing it, as long as the client affirms that is "Energy Star" certified. But not all "Energy Star" items are allowed for the credit. Nearly all windows and doors sold nowadays would qualify, as well as Heat Pumps. Items such as refrigerators don't qualify anyway.

If client is hesitant and obviously not knowledgeable I won't take the credit unless he brings the paperwork with him, and I can ascertain for myself. Many clients don't bring paperwork.

Regardless of the IRS wanting us do their job for them, I won't audit a client by asking to see every single piece of paperwork for deductions and credits. IRS will state that they don't expect us to audit the client, but they are pushing their own doctrine that they call "due diligence."

I think there are obvious things we should do as due diligence, such as investigate incongruent situations, etc. When I have to audit my clients, I'll just get out of business.

Comment

I wouldn't want to take the clients word for it. Many times they are clueless. Salespeople can be very slick, misinformed or downright dishonest in their attemps to sell a product.

Most times after seeing all the papers, the product does not qualify for the credit.
                      Last edited by dkss; 03-09-2012, 07:29 AM. Reason: Comma

Comment

Originally posted by dkss View Post
                        I wouldn't want to take the clients word for it. Many times they are clueless. Salespeople can be very slick, misinformed or downright dishonest in their attemps to sell a product.

Most times after seeing all the papers, the product does not qualify for the credit.
                        And sales persons often would say anything to make the sale.

Then there is the issue of PV credit. There is a standard of what constitutes a complete system and installers have been known to breach those standards in order to get their client a larger credit.

I know that the State of Hawaii is very strict on this issue and has gone after installers that are adhereing to the rules.

With PV the preparer has to have certain detailed information in order to properly prepare the credit form.

Comment

Working...
                        X