Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charitable Contribution-Out of Pocket Exp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charitable Contribution-Out of Pocket Exp.

How would other tax preparers handle - taxpayer committed to volunteer to a food bank for the Latter Day Saints for 2011. He has to go through a toll booth to get to food bank and toll is $5. He made 126 trips for 2011 and he is required to sign in at the food bank each day that he works. He only has toll receipts for 80 trips. With no receipt but he could provide prove that he did work at the food bank, would you put the full deduction of $630 or just the $400 for which he has receipts.

Go for it?

Originally posted by peggysioux View Post
    How would other tax preparers handle - taxpayer committed to volunteer to a food bank for the Latter Day Saints for 2011. He has to go through a toll booth to get to food bank and toll is $5. He made 126 trips for 2011 and he is required to sign in at the food bank each day that he works. He only has toll receipts for 80 trips. With no receipt but he could provide prove that he did work at the food bank, would you put the full deduction of $630 or just the $400 for which he has receipts.
    After a few relevant questions, I would likely give it to him.

Of course, the perhaps greater question is what will you do about the volunteer mileage for those same trips (records?) and is there any possibility he sometimes rode with another person (or vice versa)?

FE

Comment

He can take the mileage and the toll fee if he has a mileage log
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Connections

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        He can take the mileage and the toll fee if he has a mileage log
        Well.....I agree with that!

Rudyard Kipling suddenly comes to mind....

Of course, the apparent absence of some necessary records appears to be the more pertinent issue in this example.

FE

Comment

Third party records are a pretty good level of documentation, so I'd say he is OK. I wouldn't have any problems listing it on the return if the client asks. But I would explain to the client that the missing receipts might be a target for a very uncooperative auditor and it wouldn't represent enough tax to put up a fight over. That way he is aware that the deduction isn't a slam dunk. Then he can make an informed choice on whether to claim it. Given that there isn't a lot of tax at stake, it isn't much of a risk to the client or the preparer.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Other ways to get there?

Originally posted by peggysioux View Post
            Are there other ways to get there that he could have used to get to the food bank that could have bypassed the tool booth?

Dusty

Comment

I hope this question isn't hijacking this thread, but I have a simliar question.

The taxpayer makes occasional trips to churches to make presentations describing mission trips he has made. The sole purpose of the presentations is entirely to inform and educate people regarding missions - there is no fund raising element or effort to enlist financial support for future trips.

As a part of the presentations, he leaves photographs which people may take home as mememtos of the presentation. I know mileage to and from the presentations is deductible as a charitable contribution. I'm assuming the cost of the photographs (usually $30-$40 per presentation), is also deductible as a charbitable contribution. Anybody disagree?
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

He could have walked.
                No toll booth, no mileage.

Comment

Charitable Contributions - Out-of-Pocket Expenses

Thank you all for your responses. There is no other way to go without crossing a toll booth, he has a log so I am giving him the mileage deduction and I asked the taxpayer if he carpooled with anyone and he confirmed that he did not, so based on all your responses, I will go with the total toll cost.

Thanks again!! Peggy Sioux

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                    I hope this question isn't hijacking this thread, but I have a simliar question.

The taxpayer makes occasional trips to churches to make presentations describing mission trips he has made. The sole purpose of the presentations is entirely to inform and educate people regarding missions - there is no fund raising element or effort to enlist financial support for future trips.

As a part of the presentations, he leaves photographs which people may take home as mememtos of the presentation. I know mileage to and from the presentations is deductible as a charitable contribution. I'm assuming the cost of the photographs (usually $30-$40 per presentation), is also deductible as a charbitable contribution. Anybody disagree?
                    I agree that it should be deductible along with the mileage
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                    X