Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memo to Clients

Maybe somebody can helpe refine this memo to clients:

"Calling or emailing me to let me know you are getting your tax info together is not the same thing as actually delivering the info to me. And just to be clear, calling or emailing doesn't get you in the cue. Everybody goes on extension Mar 10 - no exceptions. I like you personally and I appreciate your business, buy not enough to endanger my health and disrupt my famliy life by working ridiculous hours."
    Last edited by JohnH; 03-03-2012, 12:17 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Getting to the point

Originally posted by JohnH View Post

"Calling or emailing me to let me know you are getting your tax info together is not the same thing as actually delivering the info to me. And no, calling or emailing doesn't get you in the cue - everybody goes on extension Mar 10. I like you personally and I appreciate your business, buy not enough to endanger my health by working ridiculous hours."
    Well, some of my late-arriving clients probably deserve "the cue" in an inconvenient location, but I think the word you seek is queue (yeah, years ago I spent some time in Great Britain ).

All right....back to work! Gotta get ready for a local basketball skirmish tonight.

FE

Comment

Go Heels!!!

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
      Well, some of my late-arriving clients probably deserve "the cue" in an inconvenient location, but I think the word you seek is queue (yeah, years ago I spent some time in Great Britain ).

All right....back to work! Gotta get ready for a local basketball skirmish tonight.

FE
      Dook is puke!

Comment

Memo to Clients

You could always just use the classic:

Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
        BMK
        Burton M. Koss
        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Nice catch, FE.
          Homophones can be problematic (or is it problematical)?

Although I understand a French reader might still take offense at the correct spelling.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post

BMK
            I have been know to use that one. My favorite is....I don't stress, that's the clients job.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

My year-end letter tells all my clients of the cut-off date. 3/16/2012 this year.

For out-of-towners that I have to mail the return back and get the 8879 back, it is 3/12/2012.

I also tell them in that letter what my extension fee is. Minimum $50.

They are also told that any taxes paid after 4/15 (4/17 this year) are subject to penalty and interest.

On the Monday after my cut-off date, this year 3/19/2012, a letter goes out reminding them that they missed my cut-off.

I also tell them that I must have their information in my office by 4/6/2012 so that I have time to calculate any amount that is going in with the extension. I have to have a minimum of W-2's and/or 1099's, especially any showing Withholding. And any other information to be able to do a fairly good job in estimating the amount to send in.

They are asked to sign the bottom of the letter and return it to me with any information. I also have a place to mark "Please do not file my return...........as I made other arrangements or "self-prepared" ....the return". Giving them an out if they want one.

I also tell them IN BOLD UNDERLINED RED letters that I will not file for an extension unless I get this letter back with some information. I had two last year that didn't respond. They both owed a large amount of tax and the subsequent penalty and interest. One said that he called and said to get the extension, but I pointed out in the letter my requirement. He came back this year, two weeks ago.

As someone else said, and is on a sign in my office, bad planning on their part does not create an emergency on my part.
              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Classy

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
                Dook is puke!
                ............................................... NOT!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post

"Calling or emailing me to let me know you are getting your tax info together is not the same thing as actually delivering the info to me. And just to be clear, calling or emailing doesn't get you in the cue. Everybody goes on extension Mar 10 - no exceptions. I like you personally and I appreciate your business, buy not enough to endanger my health and disrupt my famliy life by working ridiculous hours."
                  I only would use above wording for clients I want to get rid off.

Along your lines, this is what I would say:

I acknowledge your call/e-mail to let me know that you are getting your tax info together. However, this will not trigger getting you in the queue for actual tax return preparation. Everybody goes on extension Mar 10 - no exceptions. I hope you do not understand this as a personal rejection but I have to take care of myself as well as taking care of all my clients.

Comment

Gretel you're just too nice...

Thanks for all the input.
                    I think I figured out the best phrasing, and it only take 3 words.

Rather than a memo, I'll just wait until they come in.
                    "Call? What call?"
                    Last edited by JohnH; 03-03-2012, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                      I have been know to use that one. My favorite is....I don't stress, that's the clients job.
                      I knew a sales manager one time who was in the middle of blowing his stack when someone told him he'd better calm down or he was going to have a heart attack.
                      In response He bellowed (minus the expletives):
                      "I don't HAVE heart attacks - I GIVE 'em!"

Comment

And, may I add...

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                        ............................................... NOT!
                        Wake is Fake and the team I hate is NC State!

Go Heels!!!

Comment

Another classic

Originally posted by Koss View Post

BMK
                          and/or

I cant help those who refuse to help themselves!

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post

I also tell them IN BOLD UNDERLINED RED letters that I will not file for an extension unless I get this letter back with some information. I had two last year that didn't respond. They both owed a large amount of tax and the subsequent penalty and interest. One said that he called and said to get the extension, but I pointed out in the letter my requirement. He came back this year, two weeks ago.
                            My cut off this year will be April 16th. After that, TAKE NO PRISONERS, and prepare no extensions.
                            ChEAr$,
                            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                              My cut off this year will be April 16th. After that, TAKE NO PRISONERS, and prepare no extensions.
                              Wish I could do that.

But I currently have 71 in house, I expect 51 more in by my cut-off date, and these will be completed by 4/15, and will probably get about 40 extensions for those that I have no information on as of today!

I have a very busy schedule next two weeks, lots of appointments; including 5 corporations by 3/15. All remaining returns have Schedule C, E, F, and D's. No 1040A or 1040EZ remaining.

Told my wife stay out of the way. I do not take any more new clients.
                              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
                              X