Min requirements to file tax return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Min requirements to file tax return

I cannot seem to locate this in the Tax Library tax book. Over 65 single. Income sources SS, 1099-R annuity ($8K taxable amt combo of pension and IRA), 1099-int($50). No witholding and no credits she is entilted to. New client and I looked at her 2010 tax return, $35 (1099-int), $515(IRA 1099-R) & $5198 (pension 1099-R) plus SS over age 65 single. No W/H no credits. Hmmm

Ttb

TTB page 1-2. over 65, single, $10,950. So at $8050 in your example not required to file.
    I usually just hand it back to them and say have a nice day..and sure to tell them that if they have some other income that they did not show me it could change.
    And note in the file what was done.
    AJ, EA

Comment

I file federal returns for everyone

For me, even if the person is not required to file a federal return, in most cases they are required to file an Indiana state return. In order for me to e-file the Indiana return, it must piggyback on a federal return. Also, since the debacle of the stimulus payments being figured based on a federal return being filed, I don't trust congress not to pull a stunt like that mid season again! But I do discount the fees for these clients.

Comment

i don't know if IRS is still doing this but years ago, they sent letters to these t/p who paid a tax preparer for returns that were not required to file.

Comment

Now, AZ min income to file AZ

Here is a webapge from the AZ EA chapter. My elderly client over age 65 is under the income limit on this chart but under the chart it says; "Or, you should file if someone else (like your parents) could claim you as a dependent and you earned over $900 or had investment income (interest on savings, stock dividends, etc.) of more than $300"

Actually it will be her kids claiming her as a depedent, she is completely retired, has only income of pension, annuity and IRA's over $900 but interest income under $300. She had NO withholding for either Fed or AZ and not entitled to any credits that I am aware of.

Comment

Working...
          X