self-employed health insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

self-employed health insurance

Does the health insurance coverage of a self-employed person has to be placed under a business name before it can be an above the line deduction on line 28 of Form 1040? What about if he is a sole-proprietor and the policy is under his own name? If I remember correctly, an insurance agent has explained to me before that a health policy cannot be placed under the business name unless the business has employee(s).

No ... it does not have to be in the business name.

Comment

Originally posted by ddoshan View Post
      No ... it does not have to be in the business name.
      Thank you.

What threw me off is that my tax program says "payment for health policy established under the business". So if a health policy is placed under the sole proprietor's name, how can it be established that it is "under the business"?

Comment

Not sure other than the IRS after many years of controversy defined it as such. The individual is the business.

Comment

Originally posted by ddoshan View Post
          Not sure other than the IRS after many years of controversy defined it as such. The individual is the business.
          Thank you again. Do you have the source that the IRS defined it as such? I want to have something to fall back on in case the deduction got challenged in the future.

Comment

Instructions

The instructions for Form 1040 Line 29 are a starting point:

Comment

Working...
            X