State VA e-file help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State VA e-file help

I am a little confused and not familiar with VA. It appears that both, form 8879 and 8453 must be signed by taxpayer and retained by me. Is that true?

No, that is not right. Form 8879 (VA) is used if PIN method is selected for federal. Form 8453 is used if not.

Comment

Thanks, Burke. I am still confused but maybe it is a problem of ProSeries. Both forms print with tax return, I am using practioner PIN, but only the 8453 shows info when return was accepted. I would think this return only needs 8879 same as Federal.

It's my only return for VA so I will lay it to rest now.

Comment

Use both 8879s

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
        Thanks, Burke. I am still confused but maybe it is a problem of ProSeries. Both forms print with tax return, I am using practioner PIN, but only the 8453 shows info when return was accepted. I would think this return only needs 8879 same as Federal.

It's my only return for VA so I will lay it to rest now.
        I've filed a few VA returns this season and have had client sign both federal Form 8879 and Virginia VA-8879, using the practitioner PIN method. It appears the federal information transfers automatically into the state form? I always take the "better safe than sorry" approach to things.

In any case, I have not yet had any need to file a Form 8453 (IRS or otherwise) this season.

I don't know if this information is of relevance to your question, but I do know VA can do some strange things. One of my favorites is estimated tax where Payment #1 is always sent to a different address than Payments #2/#3/#4.

FE

Comment

Greta

I use Pro Series and did a VA return and did not have your problem. You need to find the magic box to check or uncheck to solve the problem.

Comment

Form 8453 opens up automatically in my software. I just delete it.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
              I don't know if this information is of relevance to your question, but I do know VA can do some strange things. One of my favorites is estimated tax where Payment #1 is always sent to a different address than Payments #2/#3/#4.

FE
              That is because VA still uses local commissioners to accept estimated tax payments as well as income tax returns. There are probably 15+ of them in various cities and counties where I have clients. I don't use any of them. I override all those addresses and have clients send everything to Va Dept of Taxation in Richmond.

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
                I use Pro Series and did a VA return and did not have your problem. You need to find the magic box to check or uncheck to solve the problem.
                Exactly! I tried to find that box before I posted. Since you also use ProSeries would you mind sharing where this box is?

Comment

Working...
                X