X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift Tax Questions More

All of a sudden I am receiving all of these Gift Tax Questions -

Here is the new question:

I have appreciated Stock - Per Share Basis $ 10 - FMV $ 90 - T/P states they would have to pay LT capital gain tax on $80 gain

Note" T/P is in te 35% tax bracket - and Adjult Child/Children could be in the 25% Tax Bracket

If T/p transfers to Adult Child - what is Adult Child's cost basis when they sell, basis at $10 or $ 90 (No Kiddie Tax Issues)
    What is reported on Gift Tax Return as the Gift Given?

After reviewing some info - I believe the basis to donee (Child) would be $ 10 per share, but I have a question on what the amount reported on Gift Tax Return would be? Is it $ 10 or $ 90 FMV at time of transfer

T/p also asks the question regarding their personal residence which could or could not be appreciated - Basis would be cost plus improvements - correct?

This taxpayer is looking at the current $5Mil Lifetime Gifting Allowance which ends 2011

Thanks for any direction on this issue

Sandy

Gift tax return reports the FMV. Their basis will be the donor's basis plus any gift tax *paid*.
    Michael

Comment

With that being said, if I am understanding, then there are built in gains to the donee on the Gift for appreciated property?

What about Real Estate - given the current declining values - is that also considered "appreciated property"

Thanks,

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
        What about Real Estate - given the current declining values - is that also considered "appreciated property"
        It would depend on the actual numbers. If necessary, have the client spend the few hundred on a professional appraisal (not a real estate agent's evaluation).

The obvious strategy with appreciated assets is to transfer them in a way that will benefit from the step up in basis. With taxpayer in the 35% bracket, they ought to be working with an estate planner. To be honest, I don't know what situations would make it beneficial to put these assets into a living trust, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's an approach worth considering.

Comment

Working...
        X