Brokerage statement and 8453

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brokerage statement and 8453

There was a recent thread where there was a discussion of mailing an 8453 along with a copy of the sheet from the broker. It was sometime within the last week, but I am unable to locate it since I don't remember the title. If you are doing this, I would appreciate a reply, or Private Message, giving me some info as to exactly how you are handling these. I have always just entered each line and am looking for an easier way on one I have now.

Thanks so much.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Me, too. I have several clients with lots of transactions. Will the broker's statement work with 8453?

Comment

I believe I used the 1099-B with form 8453

I believe I used the 1099-B with form 8453 but my client only has securities at one firm. Also, I have had my clients run their gains and losses thru "gainskeeper" and mailed that in along with form 8453.

Comment

Just this morning I found the thread here. After that I did as I've always done, entered summary of short term trades on one form 8949 and long terms on another 8949. Then printed out the 8453 and everything's ready to go. Mail 8453 to the same address as last year, Austin.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          Just this morning I found the thread here. After that I did as I've always done, entered summary of short term trades on one form 8949 and long terms on another 8949. Then printed out the 8453 and everything's ready to go. Mail 8453 to the same address as last year, Austin.
          Thanks - a couple of questions

1. What do you put in for the sale date and where the name of security usually goes?
          2. What do you mail with the 8453?

LT
          Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
            Thanks - a couple of questions

1. What do you put in for the sale date and where the name of security usually goes?
            2. What do you mail with the 8453?

LT
            for sales date I used 12/31/2011

Photocopy just the pertinant pages of the 1099b, those pages showing long term and short results.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Brokerage Statements w/8453

I always put 12/31 as the sale date when using the brokerage statement method. I will usually put something in the description field like "LT Vanguard" or "ST Vanguard" . I do a separate line entry for each company or gainskeeper statement one for LT and one for ST. The print copies of the statements and attach to the 8453 and mail. As long as your sales price and basis prices add up to the totals on the statements you are good.

Comment

Covered and non-covered securities

But don't forget that you have an added complication this year. You could have up to 4 entries on the form 8949 which will be carried over to Schedule D: Covered and non-covered securities, both long and short-term. However, this year, probably none of the long-term ones will be "covered" as basis only had to be reported on 1099-B (i.e., for covered securities) if acquired after 01/01/11.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                  for sales date I used 12/31/2011

Photocopy just the pertinant pages of the 1099b, those pages showing long term and short results.
                  I'm inclined to send them every bit of the brokerage statements..... including the pages of instructions.

Comment

Import

Import an Excel spreadsheet from each broker.

Comment

Working...
                    X