NY return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY return

Am I going to get in trouble for not renewing my NY registration if I only do 2 or 3 returns?

I tried to get on the website, that failed, I emailed them 2 weeks ago, never heard from them, and a new client is coming in tomorrow with a NY return.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Yes. You won't have to pay if that's all you do, but you do need to re-register.

Comment

Not paying

I know I don't have to pay. I can't get re-registered. They have not gotten back with me and I can't access the website. I was wondering if I'll get a fine if I don't register.
      I hate to call, but I guess I'll have to.

If anyone else has this issue, here's what I did:
      Call 518-457-1929
      They gave me a temp password.

I'm such a whiner.

What's to stop all states from pulling this registration on us? I have a ton of military clients, and I do a lot of different state returns.
      Last edited by Possi; 02-22-2012, 11:45 AM.
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Need to register

Originally posted by Possi View Post
        I know I don't have to pay. I can't get re-registered. They have not gotten back with me and I can't access the website. I was wondering if I'll get a fine if I don't register.
        I hate to call, but I guess I'll have to.

If anyone else has this issue, here's what I did:
        Call 518-457-1929
        They gave me a temp password.

I'm such a whiner.

What's to stop all states from pulling this registration on us? I have a ton of military clients, and I do a lot of different state returns.
        Last time I dealt with NY I had to "register" and eventually was given a magic number, similar to a PTIN, that is entered on any NY return. My guess is that without that number your return would automatically be rejected, whether you do/do not face the "pay the fee" issue.

The web site should be able to straighten everything out for you. I would NOT rely on any email exchanges with them.

Of course, I solved the looming problem by telling my very few NY clients they would need to pursue other options.

As for the looming state issues, it would not surprise me in the least for more states to go the route of NY to include "revenue enhancement" issues.

FE

Comment

Last time I dealt with NY I had to "register" and eventually was given a magic number, similar to a PTIN, that is entered on any NY return. My guess is that without that number your return would automatically be rejected, whether you do/do not face the "pay the fee" issue. ...
          Since EAs, CPAs and Attorneys are not required to register, and hence have no magic numbers, it's hard to see how the lack of such a number could cause an automatic rejection.

Comment

I re-registered in Dec with no problem accessing their web site or filling out form back then. I only do a couple returns from NY but knew I needed to register to do them so did it early . I'd call if you can't get into the system. Maybe it was just the day you tried that it wasn't working.

Comment

New York State: TSB-M-10(6)I

I agree with DonPriebe.

As per TSB-M-10(6)I, Enrolled Agents excluded from the definition of Tax Return Preparer for the New York State Tax Preparer Registration Program.

For New York State, "Tax Return Preparers" exclude Enrolled Agents, currently licensed CPAs or PAs, Attorneys currently licensed to practice law. They are "Tax Professionals".

There may have been some confusion regarding "Tax Return Preparer" and "Tax Professional"

Comment

I got it

I was able to get on the website when I called the number. I have my NY ID number now.

I'm thrilled.

Comment

Working...
                X