Exempt Organizations Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exempt Organizations Search

IRS has a newly updated feature on its website to do a search for exempt organizations for which tax-deductible contributions can be made. I am having a little difficulty in using it to find one organization in particular. By that I mean, I can get every organization in my city/county, etc. but if I input the name of a well-known organization -- let's just say National Rifle Association, I get 71,000+ hits and none of them appear to be what I am looking for. Is there a way to search by inputting one name? And there does not seem to be an explanation of the codes. It says position cursor over the "explanation" column, but all I get is a big question mark. PS: I know NRA contributions are not deductible. I would love to be able to print out something, however, for TP's who want to argue the point about various and sundry 501(c)(4)'s, etc.

You did better than I did - I couldn't even get into it - went round in a circle.
    JG

Comment

I got there by clicking on a link from the most recent newsletter from NATP. Then I bookmarked the page in my computer. Will try to post the link.

It's long: http://www.irs.gov/charities/article...9767%2c00.html
      Last edited by Burke; 02-18-2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Guidestar can be a good resource as well, depending upon what exactly you're looking for.
        Find and check a charity using Candid's GuideStar. Look up 501(c)(3) status, search 990s, create nonprofit organizations lists, and verify nonprofit information.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

The IRS did purge the records after the 3 year no file rule was implemented, perhaps the one org. you are looking for is no longer a 501(c)_ ?
          "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            IRS has a newly updated feature on its website to do a search for exempt organizations for which tax-deductible contributions can be made. I am having a little difficulty in using it to find one organization in particular. By that I mean, I can get every organization in my city/county, etc. but if I input the name of a well-known organization -- let's just say National Rifle Association, I get 71,000+ hits and none of them appear to be what I am looking for. Is there a way to search by inputting one name? And there does not seem to be an explanation of the codes. It says position cursor over the "explanation" column, but all I get is a big question mark. PS: I know NRA contributions are not deductible. I would love to be able to print out something, however, for TP's who want to argue the point about various and sundry 501(c)(4)'s, etc.
            Did you try the search with the city included? NRA Honolulu. Don't know if this will work but it's worth a try
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

IRS Website

As I read it, the IRS website only allows you to search for organizations that meet one of the following criteria:

Are eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions
              Were automatically revoked
              Have filed Form 990-N (e-Postcard)

The NRA doesn't fit into any of these categories. It's not going to come up in a search.

It is an exempt organization, but it's not in this particular database.

The NRA website has an online form for donations. It says that donations are not tax deductible. Here's the link:

Every day, NRA is on the frontlines mounting an unrelenting, 24/7 defense of your Second Amendment freedoms. But our strength to fight and win comes from you. Please give to NRA.

BMK
              Burton M. Koss
              koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                Guidestar can be a good resource as well, depending upon what exactly you're looking for.
                http://www2.guidestar.org/
                Guidestar wins - I had forgotten about it. I still went around in circles on the IRS site.
                JG

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
                  As I read it, the IRS website only allows you to search for organizations that meet one of the following criteria:

Are eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions
                  Were automatically revoked
                  Have filed Form 990-N (e-Postcard)

The NRA doesn't fit into any of these categories. It's not going to come up in a search.
                  It is an exempt organization, but it's not in this particular database.
                  BMK
                  That is what I suspected. Only eligible ones are in the database. So if I have a suspect org, and it doesn't show up, no deduction. Usually the individual websites give me that info if I manage to get to ther "donations" page and many have tax-deductible foundations, but the ck has to be made payable to the foundation. The Fraternal Order of Police is a major one people put down.

Comment

iI gave up on that IRS web site purporting to be the publication 78 base.

Instead I did a Google search for the organization and relied on it's official web site
                    which proclaims 501c3. Due diligence. grin
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

IRS Website

The consensus seems to be that Guidestar is a better bet.

But if you're curious...

The trick to finding an organization that IS in the IRS database is that you need to use quote marks.

Try searching for American Cancer Society, and you get garbage. I think you get every organization that has any one of the three words in its name.

Put it in quotes and you get ten hits. Number one is the main organization in Atlanta.

BMK
                      Burton M. Koss
                      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                        iI gave up on that IRS web site purporting to be the publication 78 base.

Instead I did a Google search for the organization and relied on it's official web site
                        which proclaims 501c3. Due diligence. grin
                        That's what I had been doing. I thought a central database provided by the IRS would be easier. Maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
                          The consensus seems to be that Guidestar is a better bet.

But if you're curious...
                          The trick to finding an organization that IS in the IRS database is that you need to use quote marks.
                          Try searching for American Cancer Society, and you get garbage. I think you get every organization that has any one of the three words in its name.
                          Put it in quotes and you get ten hits. Number one is the main organization in Atlanta.
                          BMK
                          Thanks for the hint. Will give it a shot. Do you know how to find the codes?
                          Last edited by Burke; 02-20-2012, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Anyone know how up to date the database is?

Had a client yesterday with a huge deduction for donated goods to a local organization that I had never heard of before. I contacted the "Thrift Shop" asking for the official name, address and EIN # so I could verify the deductibility of the "donation". Client had a receipt. Thrift shop guys said they'd get back to me and that the organization only started last April. I got the strong impression that this was NOT a legit charity.

When searching the database - probably the easiest way to narrow down the field would be to get the EIN #.
                            Seek wisdom from others who are more wise than you - seek others who you admire and who challenge you.

Comment

Web Site

If your thrift shop or its parent has a web site, that might have the legal name or enough information about its founding to identify it so you can confirm its eligibility via IRS or other means.

Comment

Working...
                              X