Graduate Student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graduate Student

Do most of you take a dependent deduction for 24 year old graduate students; lots of educational loan costs - in the students name . . medical student who lives away from home. Received an income in the form of a grant; for some reason I cannot come to a conclusion on this one. . . I guess I have just not come across too many graduate students. thanks.

Qualifying Relative

The fact that the person is a student is irrelevant unless they are under age 24 at the end of the year.

Just follow the rules for a qualifying relative. Either the person meets the criteria to be a dependent or they don't.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Graduate Students

This has been around for years, but it's still good for a few laughs... especially the third part, titled "You might just be a graduate student if..."

What makes it so funny is that a lot of it is true.

BMK
      Burton M. Koss
      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

right, qualified releative

however, student lives away and part of educational loan is to pay for support/living expenses, so I am going to go with no as a dependent.

Comment

student living away in the vicinity of college , so that he is closer to college than driving from home is still a temporary absence.
          do educational loans specify to use for living expenses? if it's a loan why can't he spend it any way he pleases?

Comment

Working...
          X