Teacher Expenses For School Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teacher Expenses For School Trip

I have a client who is an elementary school teacher. She went on a school field trip to Europe as a chaperon and spent $2,300. She would like to know if she can deduct this expense. I'm assuming she would not be able to deduct any of the expense because they were not qualified educational expenses. If they were, she could only deduct up to $250. Am I correct in my thinking?

Education Expen ses

Originally posted by Taxman
    I have a client who is an elementary school teacher. She went on a school field trip to Europe as a chaperon and spent $2,300. She would like to know if she can deduct this expense. I'm assuming she would not be able to deduct any of the expense because they were not qualified educational expenses. If they were, she could only deduct up to $250. Am I correct in my thinking?

Dont confuse the $250 classroom expense deduction for teachers with this kind of expense. They are two different things. You need to ask how much of this trip was for pleasure and how much to act as a chaperon on a field trip. Was this trip required by the school administration, approved by the school, and encouraged by the school. How much did the school, or school based organization contribute to the costs of the trip? The percentage that would be allowable would be deducted on 2106. I dont think it would really qualify for one of the education credits--maybe but it seems to fit employee expenses to me. Really would need more details to determine that.

Comment

Working...
    X