checking on EA or CPA status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

checking on EA or CPA status

Is there a way to check on a person to see if they are an enrolled agent or a CPA? This person signed last year's return as EA, but he doesn't show up on NAEA's website. So he doesn't belong to NAEA.
    The client keeps saying he is a CPA so I would like to check. The things she says he told her are really out there. But she is kind of out there too so I don't know if I can totally believe what she says.

Thanks for the info if anyone knows how to check on a person.

Linda, EA

CPA and EA Licensure

CPA licensing is handled at the state level, by something that is usually called the accountancy board.

Most states, but not all, have an online database. But you have to be careful, because it may not be up to date. Changes, such as new licenses and revocations, may lag behind by a few weeks or more. The only way to know for sure is to call the offices of the accountancy board.

As far as I know, there is no online database of enrolled agents. The IRS has said many times that they plan to make one available. But right now, the only way to check is to call or e-mail the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility.

Contact info for the IRS:

Contact info for state boards of accountancy:

AICPAŽ & CIMAŽ is the most influential body of accountants and finance experts in the world, with 689,000 members, students and engaged professionals globally. We advocate for the profession, the public interest and business sustainability.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

I've seen a lot of people refer to tax preparers of all stripes as 'CPAs'. Just because the client called the former preparer a CPA doesn't mean the preparer held him or herself out to be one.

Comment

I agree with joanmcq - many people believe if you do taxes that makes you a CPA. I have had several people refer to me as a CPA, and I immediately correct them. But how many THINK I am a CPA? I can't correct their misconception until they say something.

Comment

Originally posted by dkss View Post
          I agree with joanmcq - many people believe if you do taxes that makes you a CPA. I have had several people refer to me as a CPA, and I immediately correct them. But how many THINK I am a CPA? I can't correct their misconception until they say something.
          I have this exact situation. Don't want anyone mistaking me for a CPA, but through advertising the concept of all good tax preparers being CPAs is out there. No disrespect intended to the big box preparers, but I have even had people thing that the local HRB franchise preparers are CPAs.

And the local franchise is not a den of honesty that would inspire a lot of trust by anyone knowing much about taxes. "Not getting enough refund - Here let me adjust some numbers" or "Let's just put this in this category so that the IRS will not notice it". And then when someone comes to you, you hear "They always did it this way and they are CPAs".

I guess that I am being cynical, but after a while it gets irritating to hear it.

LT
          Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Originally posted by dkss View Post
            And those who construct crossword puzzles don't help much, either.
            Clue: tax pro answer: cpa
            clue: IRS employee answer: cpa
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
              CPA licensing is handled at the state level, by something that is usually called the accountancy board.

Most states, but not all, have an online database. But you have to be careful, because it may not be up to date. Changes, such as new licenses and revocations, may lag behind by a few weeks or more. The only way to know for sure is to call the offices of the accountancy board.

As far as I know, there is no online database of enrolled agents. The IRS has said many times that they plan to make one available. But right now, the only way to check is to call or e-mail the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility.

Contact info for the IRS:

Contact info for state boards of accountancy:

AICPAŽ & CIMAŽ is the most influential body of accountants and finance experts in the world, with 689,000 members, students and engaged professionals globally. We advocate for the profession, the public interest and business sustainability.

BMK
              That is my understanding to. Try irs.gov and search for enrolled agents list or CPA list. Or try contact the EA office of the IRS.
              Last edited by taxea; 02-14-2012, 03:21 PM.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Thanks. I was able to get a listing of CPA's in my state and his name is not on the list so he is not a CPA.
                He signed last year's return with his name and EA after his name. So he is supposed to be an enrolled agent. I haven't found a list of those yet.

But I appreciate all your help. This lady is coming to pick up her tax return tomorrow and we will have a good discussion. I will also have her sign an engagement letter. At least she will understand the responsibility to prove the expenses if it became necessary is hers, not mine. I will also show her the mistakes on the returns he did for her and tell her that she needs to have those returns amended. She should go back to him and have him do it for free.

Linda, EA

Comment

Working...
                X