American Legion/VFW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Legion/VFW?

Are these considered legimate deduction as donations?

Originally posted by zeros View Post
    Are these considered legimate deduction as donations?
    you're probably talking about membership dues in these organizations, right?

no deductions. it's a social organization.

But if either had a special fund raiser for an otherwise qualifieid organization and furnished adequate documentation as to destination of donor's fixed contribution, then yes.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Veterans groups are themselves qualified organizations (501(c)19, not the more familiar 501(c)3). They're 30% organizations, not 50%, but donations to them are still qualified, without the involvement of other charities. Check Pub. 526.

For membership, you'll need to check with the organization on whether there are any benefits to offset the contribution. It's possible there aren't any offsets, particularly if their social events are paid for separately or from other revenues, so the full amount of membership might be deductible.

Comment

$50 Harvard Club membership

From TTB 4-15 bottom right:

Membership benefits. If the annual fee is $75 or less, certain membership benefits are disregarded, and the full amount of the donation is deductible. This rule applies even if the taxpayer pays more than $75 to the charity for the year, as long as the required
        payment to be a member is $75 or less. Examples of membership benefits include free or discounted admission to events, free or discounted parking, preferred access to goods or services, discounts on the purchase of goods and services, and admission to member only events if the cost is a token amount of $9.70 (2011 amount) per person or less. See Charitable Contributions, page 4-3, for inflation adjusted amounts.

$50 membership due to Harvard Club? I read earlier posts I am leaning towards deductible as donation.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          $50 membership due to Harvard Club? I read earlier posts I am leaning towards deductible as donation.
          First find out how it's organized, and whether or not it's even charitable. Local alumni clubs may or may not be connected to the university or its alumni association.

And only $50? Must be a different Hahvahd.

Comment

Working...
          X