purchase of new vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

purchase of new vehicle

is there any deductions for the purchase of a new vehicle for personal use? just a regular vehicle that does not meet any of the energy requirements, like a toyota camry which is ot hybrid. i know the old deduction has expired.

Originally posted by ardi600 View Post
    is there any deductions for the purchase of a new vehicle for personal use? just a regular vehicle that does not meet any of the energy requirements, like a toyota camry which is ot hybrid. i know the old deduction has expired.
    There never was any special deduction for a hybrid vehicle.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

You can add the sales tax paid to the calculated or IRS table amount for sales tax deduction on Schedule A.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
        There never was any special deduction for a hybrid vehicle.
        I am thinking there was once a credit a ways back. Or maybe that was just for electrics, not hybrids?

Comment

Sales Tax On Car Ended 2010?

Originally posted by KBTS View Post
          You can add the sales tax paid to the calculated or IRS table amount for sales tax deduction on Schedule A.
          I THOUGHT THE ABILITY TO ADD SALES TAX ON A CAR TO THE SALES TAX TABLE ENDED IN 2010-SEE PG 4-9 IN THE TAXBOOK

Comment

Originally posted by JDSTAX View Post
            I THOUGHT THE ABILITY TO ADD SALES TAX ON A CAR TO THE SALES TAX TABLE ENDED IN 2010-SEE PG 4-9 IN THE TAXBOOK
            KBTS has it right. Check paragraph #1 just above the TTB paragraph you referenced. Adding to sales tax table is still ok.

Comment

You are probably thinking about adding the sales tax to the standard deduction. This was discontinued in 2010, but you can still add the sales tax to your table lookup on Schedule A.
              Michael

Comment

Yes- I See

Originally posted by BP. View Post
                KBTS has it right. Check paragraph #1 just above the TTB paragraph you referenced. Adding to sales tax table is still ok.
                YES I SEE, I WENT TO MY SOFTWARE AND IT WAS LETTING ME DO IT. NOT REAL SURE WHAT EXPIRED? I ALSO LOOKED TO SEE IF IT WAS SET TO EXPIRE IN 2012. I BELIEVE THE BOTTOM OF PG 1-7 INDICATES THIS ENTIRE PROVISION WILL EXPIRE AFTER 2011. JUST TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO USE THE TAXBOOK, SO I APPRECIATE THE HELP THX

Comment

Originally posted by MilTaxEA View Post
                  You are probably thinking about adding the sales tax to the standard deduction. This was discontinued in 2010, but you can still add the sales tax to your table lookup on Schedule A.
                  NOT SURE WHAT I WAS THINKING, MY SOFTWARE IS FOR SURE LETTING ME TAKE THE DEDUCTION THX

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                    I am thinking there was once a credit a ways back. Or maybe that was just for electrics, not hybrids?
                    Yes, there was a credit. But not a deduction. Unless there was business use (OF COURSE!)
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

NOT SURE WHAT I WAS THINKING, MY SOFTWARE IS FOR SURE LETTING ME TAKE THE DEDUCTION THX
                      Just a recommendation, but you may want to try to type without all caps. Typing in all caps is the equivalent to shouting on the internet.
                      Michael

Comment

Working...
                      X