Medicare Eligibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare Eligibility

In MA state and city workers pay the Medicare Tax but not the FICA tax. To qualify for free Medicare you need 39 or 40 quarters. Does anyone know how Medicare determines quarters when there are no FICA wages? Also something I learned this week. If someone does not qualify for free Part A Medicare they can pay for it and there are two tiers of cost depending on how many quarters they have.

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
    In MA state and city workers pay the Medicare Tax but not the FICA tax. To qualify for free Medicare you need 39 or 40 quarters. Does anyone know how Medicare determines quarters when there are no FICA wages? Also something I learned this week. If someone does not qualify for free Part A Medicare they can pay for it and there are two tiers of cost depending on how many quarters they have.
    I have the same problem here with teachers. You can build 'quarters' with self employment. One retired teacher worked as the neighbor handyman to build up units - another did some tutoring.

Comment

I believe there has to be reportable earned income (in whatever form) subject to FICA taxes for the required quarters over the TP's lifetime to qualify for the free Medicare. I have a client who worked early on in the US, then moved to France and never accumulated enough quarters to qualify for Soc Sec. However, SSA told us he could sign up for Medicare if he ever returned to the US to live, and would just have to pay the premiums (with no late-enrolling penalties if he enrolled as soon as he became eligible to be covered.)

Comment

If you or your spouse pay

medicare taxes for 10 years, you qualify.

medicare.gov

Comment

Working...
        X