long term capital gain for new LLC members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long term capital gain for new LLC members

Company A is an operating business owned 100% by Company B. Both are LLC's.

Company B will sell 50% of Company A in February. Company A has no fixed assets, inventory, or A/R. Company B is essentially selling "the bright future" of Company A, so the new owner of Company A is essentially buying Goodwill. Company B expects long term capital gain treatment on the sale of the Company A's goodwill.

Meanwhile, in January (prior to the expected sale in February), Company B acquired two new LLC members.

Question: When the sale occurs, does the long term capital gain benefit accrue to all the members of Company B, including the newest members who have not held shares in Company B for more than one year?

In the mutual fund world, people who buy shares of a fund during the year also get long term capital gain dividends, even though they were not shareholders for more than 12 months. Is this situation with LLC members similar?

Assuming the LLC is taxed as a partnership, long term capital gain realized by the partnership flows through to each partner on their K-1 regardless of how long a partner is a partner. It is a long term capital gain because it is the partnership (and not the individual partners) that held the asset more than one year and sold it for a gain.

This is something that should be taken into consideration when deciding the selling price of a partnership interest to a new partner. For example, if I own an asset that is worth $1 today, but I know next month it will generate $100,000 of income, will I sell 50% of it today for 50 cents? Or will I sell it today for $50,000?

A similar concept should be taken into consideration when buying or selling a partnership interest that is going to generate long term capital gain verses ordinary income. If I am selling a partnership interest that is about to generate long term capital gain, I may make the buyer pay a premium for the right to receive more favorable long term capital gain treatment on the sale proceeds verses ordinary income.

Comment

Working...
    X