Military pay in KY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military pay in KY

KY says that Active Duty Military Pay is not taxable. When a reservist is attending week-end drill, is that Active Duty? They don't have orders but can use commissary, BX, etc. The 2-week Summer Camp is on orders. Deployment is on orders. W-2's don't break it down. Any ideas? They do have a ruling that ALL KY National Guard Pay is exempt.

Originally posted by Lilibet View Post
    KY says that Active Duty Military Pay is not taxable. When a reservist is attending week-end drill, is that Active Duty? They don't have orders but can use commissary, BX, etc. The 2-week Summer Camp is on orders. Deployment is on orders. W-2's don't break it down. Any ideas? They do have a ruling that ALL KY National Guard Pay is exempt.
    Interesting indeed. So KY deems active duty military pay and that of members of the National Guard are not taxable. But what do they say about the army reserve?

You probably need to contact the KY state income tax authorities to find out how to treat this situation. (Do they still refer to that department as a Cabinet?")
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I would think if the military member is on Title 10 orders then he/she is considered active. They should know if that is the case.
      Michael

Comment

Originally posted by MilTaxEA View Post
        I would think if the military member is on Title 10 orders then he/she is considered active. They should know if that is the case.
        HAH. You really think the average soldier/airman/seaman knows that? I doubt even officers would know that.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          HAH. You really think the average soldier/airman/seaman knows that? I doubt even officers would know that.
          Yes, my clients are able to tell me this information. Ask to see their orders if they do not know, or have them go into their finance or personnel unit to ask them for you.
          Michael

Comment

All military income is exempt from state tax by Kentucky to include Reservists. Look at the Kentucky code publication page 8. It states after Jan 1st 2010 all military pay received by members of the Armed Forces, Members of Reserve components, and National Guard is exempt from Kentucky state tax. So it really doesn't matter if they are active duty. It is all exempt.

Comment

Bonnie, what about before 2010?

I did find that info about 2010 but what about after 2007? In your location you would deal a lot with military!

Comment

Working...
              X