Education Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education Credit

A graduate student who has never claimed Hope Credit or American Opportunity Credit before.

I think only Life Time Learning Credit can possibly be claimed for his graduate school tuition fee. Am I correct?

You are correct that the AOTC is out is student had completed first four years of undergrad work before the tax year. If they graduated in the spring and started grad school in fall, then they might qualify for AOTC. I think there is a recent discussion on the board about that situation.

LLC would apply as well as the Tuition and Fees Deduction for grad school work.

Comment

Originally posted by Questionguy101 View Post
      A graduate student who has never claimed Hope Credit or American Opportunity Credit before.

I think only Life Time Learning Credit can possibly be claimed for his graduate school tuition fee. Am I correct?
      I guess generally yes...

The exception is that a student who has not completed all four undergraduate years by the start of the tax year can include both undergraduate courses and graduate courses taken that year in calculating the American Opportunity Credit for that final year as an undergraduate.
      Doug

Comment

Working...
      X