paper return as opposed to e-file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paper return as opposed to e-file

is there a form that needs to be filled out if a client requests not to efile and do a paper return?

Try 8948.

That should do it.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

And here is the opt-out form if the client wants to paper file:

Date:___________ RE: Federal Income Tax Return for Tax Year 2010
      Our Federal Tax Return Preparer whom is (Preparer Name)has informed me that he may be required to electronically file our 2010 Individual Federal Tax Return Form 1040 if he files it with the Internal Revenue Service on our behalf.
      We DO NOT want to file the return electronically and choose to file my or our return on paper forms. My preparer named above will NOT file my or our paper return with the Internal Revenue Service, and I or We will file and mail the return to the IRS ourselves.
      In addition I or We hereby assume full responsibility for filing and mailing the said return for 2010 to the IRS to comply with Internal Revenue Service Regulations for timely filing.
      I or We was NOT influenced by (Name of Preparer)or any member or associate of his firm to sign this statement

Client Signature Client SSN Date
      JG

Comment

efile

individuals filing there own returns do not HAVE to e-file do they?

Comment

If it's not clear from replies 2 and 3, there are two separate items involved: Form 8948 which goes to the IRS, and a separate statement which must be signed by the client and kept by the paid preparer.

Comment

Yes - They Don't...

e-File MANDATE is only for paid profesisonals who file 11 or more tax returns.

Originally posted by monal View Post
            Matthew Jones
            Tax Preparation
            Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
            Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Making things perfectly clearer

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
              If it's not clear from replies 2 and 3, there are two separate items involved: Form 8948 which goes to the IRS, and a separate statement which must be signed by the client and kept by the paid preparer.
              AGREED!

And it should be noted that the Form 8948 must be filed with any paper return prepared by a "specified tax return preparer" (that's most of us!).

And to elaborate on the observation by Gary2....the two separate items involved are to a large extent of the CYA category. The Form 8948 provides the IRS an explanation as to why the return was not efiled, and the "statement" confirms the idea did not originate with the tax preparer.

Yup - a very brave new world out there!!

FE

Comment

Your state may differ ...

Originally posted by monal View Post
                New York now has a personal e-file mandate. An individual doing his own state taxes by computer MUST e-file if he can http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/efil...ndividuals.htm

Comment

8948 should be expanded to included TP's signature

Originally posted by JG EA View Post
                  And here is the opt-out form if the client wants to paper file:

Date:___________ RE: Federal Income Tax Return for Tax Year 2010
                  Our Federal Tax Return Preparer whom is (Preparer Name)has informed me that he may be required to electronically file our 2010 Individual Federal Tax Return Form 1040 if he files it with the Internal Revenue Service on our behalf.
                  We DO NOT want to file the return electronically and choose to file my or our return on paper forms. My preparer named above will NOT file my or our paper return with the Internal Revenue Service, and I or We will file and mail the return to the IRS ourselves.
                  In addition I or We hereby assume full responsibility for filing and mailing the said return for 2010 to the IRS to comply with Internal Revenue Service Regulations for timely filing.
                  I or We was NOT influenced by (Name of Preparer)or any member or associate of his firm to sign this statement

Client Signature Client SSN Date
                  Why couldn't some of the above been included in the form 8948 including TP's signature...there is obviously plenty of room.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
                    Why couldn't some of the above been included in the form 8948 including TP's signature...there is obviously plenty of room.
                    I can think of several reasons, not the least of which is that the IRS doesn't want to encourage opting out by including boilerplate on the form. But the main reason is that the 8948 as it currently stands doesn't require any signatures, and hence can be e-filed without the need of an 8453 attachment. The opt-out form requires a signature, and the IRS has decided that they can rely on spot checks rather than having more paperwork submitted through the 8453 route. Even if they chose the 8453 route, the preparer would still want to keep a copy of the signature for their own protection.

Also, since the 8948 can be used for reasons other than taxpayer opt-out, it could be very confusing to the taxpayer who has to sign the opt-out.

Comment

Other issues than personal choice

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                      Also, since the 8948 can be used for reasons other than taxpayer opt-out, it could be very confusing to the taxpayer who has to sign the opt-out.
                      True!

Last year I had a couple of situations that "would have" required a Form 8948 with the current efiling rules in place.

Example A was EIN problem (acknowledged by employer) that resulted in all employees of that firm being automatically rejected due to "matching" considerations.

Example B was related to issues with dependents, i.e. efiled return would be rejected since "claim" was already made to legit dependent. A paper return (with same facts) had to be submitted instead.

To me, it looks as if the IRS is slowly closing the door on not efiling. The first step is to come after the preparers, who now better have a darn good (and proveable!) reason for not efiling their client returns.

FE

Comment

Working...
                      X