Tax Software Recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Software Recommendation?

Brand new to the Taxbook and this board. I do a small number of tax returns each year (35-50) as part of my business (graduated with accounting degree; self-employed in the insurance/investment field). Obviously everything is changing with registering with the IRS and now having to e-file.

My next step is to purchase professional tax software. I do returns for NJ residents, but I also have clients in NY, PA and CA. Since my revenue is not that great from tax preparation, any suggestions for software for my situation that won't break the bank?

All the returns I do are personal - no businesses, trusts, etc.

I appreciate any input.

Larry

I recommend ATX
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

For 35-50 returns, consider TaxAct. It's ultra cheap and will get the job done since you only need to buy the individual tax software.

If you want to go a little "bigger", look at TRX Pro 1040. It's a repackaged version of TaxWorks and is IMO, a quality program. I love that it includes corporate software, trusts, 1065... TaxWorks isn't cheap but via TRX they are reasonable.

TaxAct = $119 + efiling fees and a small fee per state. If you do 40 returns, your efile fees will be well over $250. TaxAct quickly becomes a bad deal.
      TRX Tax Pro 1040 = $338.95 for unlimited usage - includes trusts and corporate returns (you never know, might get one from someone who needs a quick 1065 on an investment club) plus all states and e-filing is included.
      Last edited by Roberts; 01-26-2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

software

I agree. TaxAct is very user freindly and economical

Comment

Might want to consider Pro Series

Originally posted by devilznj View Post
          Brand new to the Taxbook and this board. I do a small number of tax returns each year (35-50) as part of my business (graduated with accounting degree; self-employed in the insurance/investment field). Obviously everything is changing with registering with the IRS and now having to e-file.

My next step is to purchase professional tax software. I do returns for NJ residents, but I also have clients in NY, PA and CA. Since my revenue is not that great from tax preparation, any suggestions for software for my situation that won't break the bank?

All the returns I do are personal - no businesses, trusts, etc.

I appreciate any input.

Larry
          Pay Per Return (PPR) or Pro Series Basic.

Dusty

Comment

Originally posted by patavid View Post
            I agree. TaxAct is very user freindly and economical
            I started with TaxAct years ago. It was GREAT that first year because I could afford to easily buy the software from previous seasons and be up and running for a small outlay. IMO the second year it wasn't economically the best choice. My mistake was I went to the other extreme - spending WAY too much for what I needed.

In my first tax season I had a client who needed their taxes done going back 3 years. TaxAct made that affordable to buy the software (instead of doing it on a pay per basis).

Comment

Consider TaxAct's bundle

$559 for all states and unlimited federal and state e-file.

If you like their interface, you might consider Drake pay-per-return: $19 per return, includes federal, unlimited states, and e-file. Also trusts and entities, pretty good research access, and prompt telephone support.
              Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Demo

Demo ALL the products and prioritize your favorites. Then have the salesmen price things out for you using your expected mix of returns. Pay-per-return, especially with only Forms 1040, can make a really pricey program affordable.

Comment

TaxAct

We've been using TaxAct for years, and we've been very satisfied.

An earlier post noted that the program is $119, plus a fee for each return that is filed electronically. That information is correct. But it leaves out a few details.

The program allows unlimited printed returns. If the return is not filed electronically, there is no per-return fee. This is not the case with many other products.

Yes, I know that e-file is mandatory. But the ability to print a completed return without paying a fee may be important if you are comparing MFJ and MFS. And there might be a few clients who insist on mailing the return. Or what about a client who asks you to do the return, but then changes his mind and won't pay? Maybe that's not the kind of scenario the original poster is dealing with. But that happened a lot when I worked at one of the big chains.

More importantly, the post mentioned four different states. The TaxAct price of $119 doesn't include any states. But for $79.99, you get a package with all the states. Or you can buy individual states for $19.99 each. So four states just happens to be the break-even point.

TaxAct has its limitations. It doesn't do 1040NR, and they don't offer a 1041 program. And it doesn't support city tax returns here in Ohio. But Ohio city taxation is a complete mess, so that's not all that surprising.

We've had a great experience with TaxAct over the years. It's a very good product for a small practice.

BMK

BMK
                  Burton M. Koss
                  koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Thanks!!

Appreciate everyone's time and input. Glad I found this site.

Larry

Comment

I like ATX, and they do have an unlimited 1040 package. I do a bit of everything though, so I've bought the whole package (MAX) most years. And they do have every form, including all those pesky PA & OH ones. And if you are doing ANY 1099s, efiling them is a breeze.

Stay away from Proseries...expensive and a pain IMHO.

Comment

Agree with Koss

Originally posted by Koss View Post
                        We've been using TaxAct for years, and we've been very satisfied. ....

BMK
                        I tend to agree with Koss on TaxACT. While the software will not do everything under the sun (and you pay accordingly for software that will!) it is a nice compromise for a small to mid-level preparer.

Renewal prices are competitive. If you are doing many states, just purchase the multi-state package. If you are efiling ~50 returns, get the "unlimited" efiling option.

I never gave much thought to the "printing" issues Koss explained. Rightly or wrongly I just print whatever I want (MFJ/MFS/with or without dep/etc), but generally save some trees and just create separate files and look at the "return" on CRT.

As for clients who want to mail a paper return issues: It is my understanding that still falls under the purvey of a prepared return that "should be" efiled, so the actual preparer must document such with Form 8948 and include it with the tax return. In legal-speak, it's "CYA" for the preparer!

FE

Comment

Working...
                        X