where we file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where we file

I just noticed that Florida doesn't send returns to Atlanta this year. We send to Austin, Texas or Charlotte, NC if there is a payment enclosed.

I didn't know that. It slipped by me. I am glad I looked it up before I got the envelope ready for this 1040X I am doing for 2009.

Did everyone else catch this?

Linda, EA

I check irs.org for where to send at the beginning of each tax season for just this reason
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
      I check irs.org for where to send at the beginning of each tax season for just this reason
      Do you mean irs.gov? It looks like irs.org is an ad-driven site.
      Last edited by MilTaxEA; 01-22-2012, 08:36 PM.
      Michael

Comment

Be careful of correct address for mailed returns!

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
        I just noticed that Florida doesn't send returns to Atlanta this year. We send to Austin, Texas or Charlotte, NC if there is a payment enclosed.

I didn't know that. It slipped by me. I am glad I looked it up before I got the envelope ready for this 1040X I am doing for 2009.

Did everyone else catch this?

Linda, EA
        Not sure exactly where you got the address, but you may wish to check page 5 here:
        http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf which shows the mailing addresses specific to Form 1040X.

FWIW, I did not see any distinction between different addresses for refund/balance due for a Form 1040X.

You may be confusing the information for "normal" Forms 1040 (not amended) as shown on page 100 here:

Also, while the topic is being discussed re mailing tax returns: In the past the IRS used different mailing addresses for a self-prepared tax return versus a professional (paid) tax return. Since I efile virtually everything, I don't keep track of that issue any more but I am quite certain there were "different" mailing addresses in the past! (Your software should already "know" that for any client cover/instruction letters?? )

FE

Comment

Addresses to mail tax returns

This the address I used to find addresses

Comment

Collected addresses

Originally posted by okie1tax View Post
            This the address I used to find addresses

http://www.irs.gov/file/content/0,,id=105690,00.html
            Nice "bookmark" material. Danke!

Like I said, I don't really get involved in "mailing" anything these days, but for those stalwarts who do, this link should cover things.

For a similar reason, it appears there is no longer any distinction between returns prepared/not prepared by a third party?? ("These Where to File addresses are to be used ONLY by TAXPAYERS AND TAX PROFESSIONALS filing individual federal tax returns in _____ during Calendar Year 2012.")

FE

Comment

I got the address from The TaxBook tab 16 page 1.

The instructions for the 1040X also says send to Austin.

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by MilTaxEA View Post
                Do you mean irs.gov? It looks like irs.org is an add-driven site.
                oops! thanks for the correction-my fingers were being bad yesterday
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I always check the address in the Tax Book tab 16. All the addresses are right there.

Comment

Working...
                  X