Foreign Corporate Profit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign Corporate Profit

Snurdface is shareholder in British Drilling Partners, LTD. This is a British Limited Partnership. The partnership has all manner of types of income - operations, capital gains, interest, etc.

As far as I know, British Drilling Partners, LTD is not beholden to file US tax returns, such as a 1065, K-1s, etc.

Notwithstanding, should Snurdface show his share of income under the various types of income even without a K-1??

My Two Cents

A lot of the reporting issue depends on how he acquired the interest in the Partnership. If it is a publicly traded partnership on any US exchange, then they are required to file with IRS.

Regardless of what they file, I believe that he needs to report and pay taxes on this income as if they had given him a proper K-1. I suppose he could also get by with just sticking the net income on line 21 but that might overtax him.

Comment

And then there is the requirement to file the 8865, 8868, and/or 8898 depending on his percentage of the ownership, value of the shares.

And the penalties if the income isn't reported...

Comment

How Long?

Joan, how long have these requirements been around?

I knew one of them has been added effective in 2011, not sure of the rest.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X