Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you/HRB charge???

I am just curious to find out what others charge for the following:

1) Form 1040, Schedule A, Schedule B, maybe child credit, education credit, 6 stock trades, state tax return, all e-filed

2) Add a Schedule E

The above are probably 80% of the personal returns I do. I did not include Schedule C because that can vary widely based upon the complexity and involvement.

I'll start.

1) $375-$425

2) Add $50-$75

Multiple calls

... and if they call me over and over again, eek information to me one page at a time, or otherwise tick me off, they get the "PITA deferrential." It ranges in abundance.

"I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Comment from an HRB employee

Of course I haven't done anything that complex yet this season...only a few with W-2s, EITC and Child Tax Credit. I work in a corporate office (not a franchise) and fees are all generated by someone other than me! But judging from last year's fees and the increases I have already seen this year, I would guess that prices wouldn't be much different than those given by ttbtaxes. Perhaps for first scenario $325-$400 and at least $50 more with a Schedule E with a single rental (more if several items within rental to depreciate). Cost of a Sch E might be a bit less if the only item is a single royalty income item.

We bill by the number of items we enter as well as the forms we use so cost of a Sch B would vary a lot, depending on how many entries. And there would be an additional cost for such entries on a 1040 as a taxable state tax refund, contribution to an IRA, any retirement income or Social Security, separate calculation of capital gains tax on qualified dividends, etc.

Comment

I bill by the hour for the time with the client

so it would matter greatly whether everyting I needed was readily available when I got there or did I do some or a lot of thumb twiddling and also how logically is the information laid out. I am guessing I could get the number one return done in an hour and a half and I doubt the added E would add an entire half hour. For 1040 work I bill a straight 150 an hour or $2.50 a minute and I do time the process to the minute on my comp. If I take a break I am careful to log out of the return.

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post

1) Form 1040, Schedule A, Schedule B, maybe child credit, education credit, 6 stock trades, state tax return, all e-filed

2) Add a Schedule E

The above are probably 80% of the personal returns I do. I did not include Schedule C because that can vary widely based upon the complexity and involvement.

I'll start.

1) $375-$425

2) Add $50-$75
          1) $300-$325

2) $80

Comment

I bill by the form/schedule.

Too many variable, such as # of dependents, W-2's, items on Schedule B, Schedule A, how many 8949's that go with the D, etc. But my fee would range from $275 and up.

Adding a Schedule E, again, too many variables, items on the E, and depreciation. My fee would range from about $50 and up.
            Jiggers, EA

Comment

my fee

a. $250- $300
              b. $70

Comment

Nickels and dimes add up

Originally posted by origun View Post
                Of course I haven't done anything that complex yet this season...only a few with W-2s, EITC and Child Tax Credit. I work in a corporate office (not a franchise) and fees are all generated by someone other than me! But judging from last year's fees and the increases I have already seen this year, I would guess that prices wouldn't be much different than those given by ttbtaxes. Perhaps for first scenario $325-$400 and at least $50 more with a Schedule E with a single rental (more if several items within rental to depreciate). Cost of a Sch E might be a bit less if the only item is a single royalty income item.

We bill by the number of items we enter as well as the forms we use so cost of a Sch B would vary a lot, depending on how many entries. [color=blue] And there would be an additional cost for such entries on a 1040 as a taxable state tax refund, contribution to an IRA, any retirement income or Social Security, separate calculation of capital gains tax on qualified dividends, etc.[/blue]
                Thanks for the input.

Having once worked for HRB, their (and I guess others?) continuing fee structure amazes me.

Enter four Forms 1099-INT. How much "extra" work is involved if a Sch B is actually needed?

Enter the Soc Sec benefits from the Form SSA-1099. How much "extra" work is involved to determine how much/any is taxable income?

The "tax calculation" is similar - most/ALL? tax software does everything automatically based up total income on return, qualifying dividends, etc without any "extra" work by the preparer. A similar concept applies to the size, if any, of the allowable child tax credit assuming the correct dependent information was (already!) entered.

Granted, I might have seen things differently when I had to walk across the office, get some additional forms/worksheets, fill them out by hand, etc but that scenario is just not the case now.

Those folks who charge a reasonable amount for a product, with some tweaks for issues such as research work, excessive client contact, PITAs, are much more in line with today's technology than the "we charge extra for every calculation" that apparently Block continues to use.

Oh yes, re the original post: Without any client surprises, I would likely charge ~$250 + ~$60. (I'm still in the dark as what to expect for 2011 stock sales et al.) The Sch E charges can vary....first year/setting up depreciation/etc involves much more "work" than having an established rental property where I then only need to enter income/expenses. The Sch E is once again a prime example of why a fixed Sch E charge for all returns may just not be appropriate.

I'm sure others will disagree, but that's the way I have approached things for many years.

FE

Comment

Approximately,

1. $300-350
                  2. $90

Comment

Originally posted by origun View Post

We bill by the number of items we enter as well as the forms we use so cost of a Sch B would vary a lot, depending on how many entries. And there would be an additional cost for such entries on a 1040 as a taxable state tax refund, contribution to an IRA, any retirement income or Social Security, separate calculation of capital gains tax on qualified dividends, etc.
                    And the premium office double the fee of the seasonal offices. If the public knew this they wouldn't go there when they can get it for 1/2 that at the seasonal offices
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Sorry - I disagree....

The schedule E has many loose ends to discuss.. Depreciation on the house alone raises numerous questions regarding depreciation, repairs, improvements and other variables all of which can add considerable time pulling information. Then mileage on behalf of the rental.. blah blah blah.. Were you involved since the rental was purchased? That eases things. I always provide a full depreciation summary annually.

I start my Schedule E at $75 without blinking. Then the more added variables I go up from there. I try to be through while insuring as many actual supporting documents are contained in the clients electronic file(s).

As for the first item - Again variables, # 'b' transactions; $1k child tax credit? Unless EIC is involved most software does that by itself so I normally don't add additional for that. I suppose I should... Especially if EIC is involved. But I don't think I'd be as high as $300 on that. Depends how much information gathering and supporting documents are needed for all of the items stated.. But I be I would be around $225-$275 ...
                      But then - I charge more for the E.. so I guess it all balances out.

Still trying to figure out this years rate schedule.... So many things have gone up.. WAY UP!!

Still NOT buying 3 POINT ANYTHING... Inflation rate.

Sounds like un-employment... Jumble the numbers, no one will even care...

Ramble:
                      A can of corn is now $1.49 - Wasn't more then $0.69 not too long ago.
                      Darn Yodels are like $4 something.
                      MILK - $4.29 per gallon!! (Stop & Shop) Really.?? Costco - $2.40ish..

People are revolting about OIL! ??
                      The Freaking MILK comes FROM the USA (from a COW) & we're paying more per gallon..... THAN GAS??
                      And we just smile.... and pay it....

No charge for e-file! 8-O

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post

2) Add a Schedule E

I'll start.

1) $375-$425

2) Add $50-$75
                      Last edited by MAJ; 01-19-2012, 11:40 PM.
                      Matthew Jones
                      Tax Preparation
                      Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
                      Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                        And the premium office double the fee of the seasonal offices. If the public knew this they wouldn't go there when they can get it for 1/2 that at the seasonal offices
                        This is not accurate
                        You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Charges

I post fees on my website for basic Packages. For the scenario you quoted, my
                          MJF package is $179 + an up charge for the Sch D and Sch E. My fee would
                          land in the 200-250 range for the complete return.

NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW CLIENTS - Office reopens January 16, 2025. Serving only clients who filed their 2023 tax return here

As an aside, I have significant competition in my area and they all charge less
                          than I do. Except for the Big Green Block, of course. (Of which I was a part for
                          21 years!)
                          Todd Fogelberg, EA

Comment

Working...
                          X