Eftps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eftps

I have a client who had not filed for many years. We finally got the returns done and the total tax assessed. An installment plan was set up and the auto payment was requested. The IRS did not set up the auto debit and told us to resend the form. So, we sent again and still no set-up. The IRS states they do not show they received any correspondence in Dec. (when it was sent the second time) Taxpayer has been driving to the nearest IRS office to be sure payments are made when the IRS drops the ball.

Can this be set up in the EFTPS system? Since it originated in the AUC, can it be paid this way now since they have accepted the installment plan? The info on their site is not very clear on this. (at least to me)
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Originally posted by WhiteOleander View Post
    I have a client who had not filed for many years. We finally got the returns done and the total tax assessed. An installment plan was set up and the auto payment was requested. The IRS did not set up the auto debit and told us to resend the form. So, we sent again and still no set-up. The IRS states they do not show they received any correspondence in Dec. (when it was sent the second time) Taxpayer has been driving to the nearest IRS office to be sure payments are made when the IRS drops the ball.

Can this be set up in the EFTPS system? Since it originated in the AUC, can it be paid this way now since they have accepted the installment plan? The info on their site is not very clear on this. (at least to me)
    Yes, it may be set up via EFTs
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Confirmed.

However, each payment must be individual initiated which is a pain. Maybe less than driving to the IRS office, I guess.

Comment

Thanks,
        I was confused because on the IRS site it lists the forms that the payment can be related to and 9465 is not one of them listed.
        You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Yes

Yes, it can be done. I just set up one of my clients who is making installment payments on previous years balance due. We got them set up with EFTPS. She just has to remember to call in or do it on the computer before payment due date and schedule payment.

The nice thing is that when they think about it, they can call and set up the payment to process on the 15th or 18th or whatever day they want. You don't have to wait until the day before the due date.

They did it because there really isn't enough time between when they get the coupon and when the payment is due to be at IRS. This way you don't have to depend on the postal service.

Linda, EA

Comment

To Setup.

You post a form 1040 payment to the earliest year in the installment agreement and away you go.

Comment

Originally posted by outwest View Post
              However, each payment must be individual initiated which is a pain. Maybe less than driving to the IRS office, I guess.
              I thought EFTPS had an option to set up automatic payments from a bank account. Other than that, I agree, you can make payments for IA through them.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by outwest View Post
                You post a form 1040 payment to the earliest year in the installment agreement and away you go.
                Thanks (I am reminded of Jackie Gleason.... "And away we go.... )

Comment

Let's not date ourselves..

or "I'll give it to you right in the kisser!"

Comment

then there's

"to the moon, Alice" always my fav
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

IA payments

Yes - which I did not know until this "thread" started
                      we can make IA payments through EFTPS

See this link http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc202.html

a snip
                      Installment Agreements
                      An installment agreement allows you to make a series of monthly payments over time. The IRS offers various options for making monthly payments, such as:

Direct Debit from your bank account
                      Payroll Deduction from your employer
                      Payment via check or money order
                      Payment by Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
                      Payment by credit card via phone or Internet, or
                      Payment by Online Payment Agreement (OPA)
                      This info is timely - as I do have a client that I can set up on EFTPS for IA just approved. The client is thankful that this option is available for timely online payments.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                      X