Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Form 8867

New question #1 on new form 8867.

"Preparer's name and PTIN. Did the preparer who is signing this return also determine the taxpayer's eligibility for EIC? YES or NO.

How would you answer this question?

I think yes

...I mean, who else is there? Especially when you consider it is the preparer's responsibility to fill out 8867 and almost every question is a gatekeeper that must be answered a certain way, or the EIC is snipped off to fall into the flames of a burning hell. [...with apologies to Jonathan Edwards...]

Would love to hear from others who might make a case for someone OTHER than the preparer to be the determining party...

Comment

I can't think of any unless you had two preparers work on the same return. You know one doing the work and the other signing it.
      JG

Comment

if the TP qualifies for EIC and the preparer did the due diligence then yes.
        if the TP qualifies for EIC and the preparer did not do the due diligence then no
        if no one on the return qualifies for EIC then no

How hard was that?
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
          New question #1 on new form 8867.

"Preparer's name and PTIN. Did the preparer who is signing this return also determine the taxpayer's eligibility for EIC? YES or NO.

How would you answer this question?
          All I see on the form is "Enter preparer's name and PTIN"

Comment

About one more EIC form and I'm just going to leave it blank and let the IRS figure the credit.
            In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
            Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
              About one more EIC form and I'm just going to leave it blank and let the IRS figure the credit.
              I kinda think your tax software will catch that before the return gets transmitted to IRS.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I kinda think

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                I kinda think your tax software will catch that before the return gets transmitted to IRS.
                I kinda think our software will miss it and everybody EXCEPT the people fraudulently claiming EIC will wind up in the Cross-Bar Motel.
                If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

My software gives me an error message if I haven't completed the 8867.

I think it's the cheats that will miss it.

Comment

See my post in 8867 signature
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by LCP View Post
                      All I see on the form is "Enter preparer's name and PTIN"
                      Again....... perhaps more clearly, I don't see a new question #1.

Comment

Filing return for relative. No paid for return. Software will require Form 8867 to allow EIC.

Efiling return only. Return prepared by taxpayer. Have to input information into tax program to allow efiling. Again have to complete Form 8867.

In either of these two cases does Line 1 on Form 8867 have to be completed, assuming that the Form 8867 is transmitted by software company. I understand that form is to be completed only by a paid preparer but am unsure what will be transmitted by software.

Comment

software

Maybe your software is asking you that question. The question as you stated it is not on the form.

Linda, EA

Comment

Proseries

This is a question in Pro Series. An attempt on their part to help their preparers apply the rules correctly.

Dusty

Comment

Check the form and the instructions.

There's a new line #1 field: "Enter preparer's name and PTIN."

Sounds simple, but the instructions give a qualifier, so probably some softwares are taking that into account and asking a "worksheet" kind of question so the correct information is entered. Maybe that is what some posters are referring to.

Here's from the revised instructions for form 8867 line #1:

"Enter the name and PTIN of the preparer who determines the taxpayer's eligibility for, or the amount of, the EIC, even if that preparer is not the signing preparer."
                              Last edited by BP.; 01-21-2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X