E-file Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-file Requirements

I must efile my 1040 & 1041 clients, but is there an efile requirement for me regarding the

thanks

According to TTB, page 15-13, corporations are required to e-file if assets are $10 million and over and they file at least 250 returns a year (excise tax, employment tax, information returns such as Forms W-2 and 1099, etc.).

The requirement is on the corporation, not the paid preparer. So it does not matter how many corporate returns the preparer files. It's how many information forms (such as W-2s and 1099s) that the corporation must file each year.
    Last edited by Bees Knees; 01-13-2012, 12:44 PM.

Comment

But why not?

But why not e-file if you can? Paper is soooo 20th Century!
      Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Originally posted by appelman View Post
        But why not e-file if you can? Paper is soooo 20th Century!
        Well, this answer is not very helpful. I am interested in this too and still don't know if, in addition to the corporation filing requirement there is a requirement for the preparer, if the preparer has to file otherwise.

Appleman, to answer your question, if indeed it was a question: I live in a State that is totally neglected by Intuit (my software provider), meaning I cannot do the State returns for entities. Since I have to do paper anyway, I prefer to have the Federal return on paper also.

Comment

Gretel, in Nebraska you can't file a 1041 electronically so I'd prefer to do both paper too.

Besides I think the government over steps its bounds when it mandates how we interact with it. Our clients are expected to maintain paper records, how it it refuse paper returns?

Nebraska even mandates electronic payment as well as filing for some taxpayers. Last time I checked our currency still reads "Legal tender for all debts public and private".
          In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
          Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

A chacun son gout!

California also doesn't e-file their 541, but I still like to e-file the federal. But the question was about 1120's.
            Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
              Well, this answer is not very helpful. I am interested in this too and still don't know if, in addition to the corporation filing requirement there is a requirement for the preparer, if the preparer has to file otherwise.

Appleman, to answer your question, if indeed it was a question: I live in a State that is totally neglected by Intuit (my software provider), meaning I cannot do the State returns for entities. Since I have to do paper anyway, I prefer to have the Federal return on paper also.
              Sorry Gretel, didn't mean to offend. To answer the question I am sure it is all layed out in the E-File instructions the IRS makes available every year Pub 3ll2
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Thanks, it helped me find Pub 4163, which addresses entities. My conclusion is that the requirement to e-file for tax return preparers applies to individuals only. Entities have their own electronic filing requirements.

Comment

Working...
                X