Working w/ client QB file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working w/ client QB file

I have the QuickBooks 2012 Accountant version. My client has QuickBooks Pro 2010. Is there a way in QB 2012 Acct. version that I can use my client's file AND return it as a QB Pro 2010 file. Right now, the way I see it, I can only convert it upward to 2012 and then it can't be sent back to the client and used. I'm hoping that I'm missing something here. Much thanks in advance for your assistance.

Brian
    "The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax" - Albert Einstein

QB Versions

As far as I know, you would have to work in QB 2010 and then relay back to the Client in QB 2010. It would be a Yes on taking the client data from QB 2010 and updating to QB2012- however, you would not be able to have the client update their data on QB2010 on their computer.

Another option is to have client sign up on LogMeIn - Gives you access to the Clients Computer, work in their file for corrections, as if you were in clients office and on clients computer.

I have converted all of my QB clients to LogMeIn, to access their QB files. Much easier than Accountant's Review, etc change, and trading data back and forth amd eliminating data transfer errors.

Sandy

Comment

Sandy,

I like to work remotely with me clients but some things (f.e. memo repeat on JE's) can only be done in the Accountant's version of QB. Also the Accountant's review has some limitations if used with the client's version of QB even though it has become better over the years.

Do any of these limitations affect your work with QB?

I take it you use the paid version so you can print in your office?

Thanks. Gretel

Comment

Using the accountants version of QB, you can go back one year, but only one year. So your client would have to be using 2011 for you not to damage the data file.

Maribeth

Comment

Log Me In

I quit using the Accountant's Copy in QB due to the limitations, and then there were some issues for the client restoring.

I use LogMeIn - I have the client use LogMeIn Free if I don't need to file transfer or print ( really small Biz Clients) and then they will send me a Portable Backup File, so I can download on my computer - and I just spend a small amount time on the phone with them to make corrections.

On my larger biz clients and payroll - they are using LogMeIn Pro - subscritpion annually is somewhere bnetween $ 39.95 - $ 69.95 depending - client pays.

LogMeIn Pro - I can file transfer, print to my local printer - just as if I were on the Clients Computer. I make corrections on Client's computer and I use initials for any changes I make - so both client and I know.

It has worked out very well.

In Journal Entries on QB you can duplicate JE without being in Accountant's Copy - I simply don't use Accountant's Copy anymore.

Sandy

Comment

Maribeth answered the questions but here is a link to it also:

I am about ready to quit the ProAdvisor program. Been with it 10 years. I was charged $800 this year for renewal. It is really getting out of hand the pricing. I never use their support. They have changed their "Find a Proadvisor" listing so that it is not the one nearest you but the one with the most training from Intuit. Also I have not got but maybe one or two from being on their list.

The only reason I let it renewed this year was because I did not know what to do in regards to payroll prep.

Sandy, do you offer payroll services? If so do you still use QBs payroll subscription or something else?

I also use LogMeIn... some clients are very afraid though to let me have access to their computer. Like all I have to do is look around in their computer. After I explain how they can turn it off they are a little more okay for it. I've started using DropBox and just let them upload their files. When I need to make to adjustments they upload on Fridays and I have it back to them on Monday.
            Last edited by geekgirldany; 01-07-2012, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Qb

If you're a ProAdvisor, you have every year's software so can use the year you need for a client.

If I'm preparing the tax return and NOT doing their bookkeeping, I have them give me a back-up copy. Then I can convert to a later year or use it however I need to. But, I don't return it to the client. If the client asks, I'll tell him what I adjusted, moved, etc. If he wants me to clean up his QB file and he's not my bookkeeping client, I do so for an hourly fee.

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
                I quit using the Accountant's Copy in QB due to the limitations, and then there were some issues for the client restoring.

I use LogMeIn - I have the client use LogMeIn Free if I don't need to file transfer or print ( really small Biz Clients) and then they will send me a Portable Backup File, so I can download on my computer - and I just spend a small amount time on the phone with them to make corrections.

On my larger biz clients and payroll - they are using LogMeIn Pro - subscritpion annually is somewhere bnetween $ 39.95 - $ 69.95 depending - client pays.

LogMeIn Pro - I can file transfer, print to my local printer - just as if I were on the Clients Computer. I make corrections on Client's computer and I use initials for any changes I make - so both client and I know.

It has worked out very well.

In Journal Entries on QB you can duplicate JE without being in Accountant's Copy - I simply don't use Accountant's Copy anymore.

Sandy
                Sandy, thank you, but I wasn't asking about the Accountants'Copy but the Premier Accountant's version. Any experience with that?

Comment

Working...
                X