IRS deposit letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS deposit letter

Does IRS send this letter every year to every payroll customer or only if the requirement changed? I think they send it every year regardless but policies about mailing are changing quickly recently.

Trend

Gretel, not an appropriate answer to your question, but the impetus behind all this is to move everyone unto a Utopian existence of website filings and electronic bank transfers, and in the process eliminate the U S Postal Service.

Of course, no one will admit to wishing the Post Office into oblivion. The Post Office will be left unbothered and perfectly free to operate in a world where no one has to mail anything.

You see it everywhere. Bank statements, bills, etc. where the entity tells you to save stamps and trees. (This sudden concern for trees is so socially responsible it makes me want to cry. This is after YEARS of stuffing your statements full of sleazy advertisements and other clutter)

This wonderful world takes all the filing and payment control out of your hands where you are at the mercy of "the system" to prove transactions are consummated. It's all about control and faster money.

And for those of you not familiar with logging, Paper is made from pulpwood. Pulpwood is from tree growth so unhealthy that it can't be used for lumber or other wood products, and usually results when these unhealthy trees are knocked over in the process of logging. Pulpwood is of so little value that a logging operation would not exist for the harvest of pulpwood alone -- there has to be Oak, Maple, etc. This pulpwood is considered "collateral damage" of otherwise profitable logging operations. When enough of it accumulates, it is taken to the paper mill where it barely pays the freight to take it to market.

No one is "saving trees" by electronic payment requirements. Paper is the By-Product of otherwise profitable logging, and not the purpose for cutting trees.

Comment

That's interesting information, Snagle, and you sound real upset. I try to stay away from as much electronic as I possibly can, I don't trust the cloud. I do have online access to my bank accounts, though, but I must be a rare exemplar. I only log in every so often (every two months or so) and last time I couldn't get into my account because my password was no longer valid and the bank clerk was more than astonished about me.

As long as things are choices it's fine with me. I certainly despise being pushed into the electronic world.

And then we have Intuit. Twice last year their servers were down, the first time at least for two days, were nothing online could be done including payroll filings/payments. You see, I am upset too.

Comment

Meine liebe Gretel,

IRS is supposed to send out these letters, CP 137/ 138 when deposit frequency is changed.
        They do not to my knowledge send out one when the frequency decreases.

For one client however, they "forgot". Or mail was lost. I don't know. but I'm pleading with IRS at Ogden right now to waive penalties.

Ihre,
        Hansel
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Danke, Harlan.

In other words, keep on doing the same thing for 2012 as was done in 2011. I have two new clients, that used an accountant for payroll, and they had substantial changes in payroll volume. I am afraid accountant get letter and didn't pass on because they did 2011 payroll.

I hate situations like this. What do others do in such situations (client clueless and no good communication with accountant)?

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
            Danke, Harlan.

In other words, keep on doing the same thing for 2012 as was done in 2011. I have two new clients, that used an accountant for payroll, and they had substantial changes in payroll volume. I am afraid accountant get letter and didn't pass on because they did 2011 payroll.

I hate situations like this. What do others do in such situations (client clueless and no good communication with accountant)?
            No, do not keep on doing the same thing. Look it up in publication 15 to determine correct frequency. If under 2500$, quarterly is fine. If between that and 50,000$, monthly by the 15th following is to be done. Over 50,000... it's semi weekly.

I've a client who has always been quarterly, but now he has decided to withhold federal w/h from employees, so that automatically transforms him into a monthly depositor.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
            X